Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

Summer outdoor spawning tanks!

Well I think I'm gonna spawn some pairs....ALL NAT-U-RAL!!! This won't be happening till summer but I thought I'd share!

The set up:

16.5 gallon plastic tub with lid, resting on something to make water changes easier.

NO heaters

Java moss

Java fern

A lot of IAL

2-3 inches of water

The lid will be on top of the tub but there will be a small crack for mosquitos to lay their larvae.

*I will be leaving the father with them for about a month.

These will be resting outside on my deck. I will be planning my spawns with the weather...during a week with some thunder storms (bettas like rain).

The reason I want to try this is because I was browsing some posts on another forum...some of the breeders were posting about our clean, sterile enviorment in the breeding tanks isn't natural....so I thought I'd test it out!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #2 
beat2020

Cool idea! :)

I plan to set-up some outside tubs over the summer as well...
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #3 
Creat

Sweet sounds like fun Ive heard it creates less but stronger fry tell us how it works out for you I would love to know!
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

I was actually thinking about setting up a outdoor spawning tank over the summer as well. Wow... Thats strange.. lol
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #5 
leeb62

Yep same here. My setup is probably one of those plastic swimming pools at wal-mart and figure out some way to divide them or get a small pools. Then just put the female and male in there with some plants and let natural set its course.
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I would use the kiddy pool idea but the air here is dry and young bettas need humid air for protecting their labyrinth...hence the lid :)

I really can't wait for summer now!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

For all natural outdoor, I suggest setting up tanks once winter is over, give it about a month (longer better) to age and have tiny critters in them, then condition breeding pair.

MrV; is air that dry? ... I was going to suggest some sort of large mesh (?) covers instead of solid lids - avoid larger critters getting into the tanks, like dragonflies, frogs etc.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

That method worked well for me last summer-I use 5g buckets full of rainwater, oak leaves and let the mosquito and other aquatic critters lay eggs and develop in them first...I added 2 females for a couple of days to fill up on larva and then I add the male and some water lettuce and other plants from my tanks that I had just trimmed and had a spawn within a few min the females demanded that the male spawn with them the second he was added...he didn't seem to complain...lol...... I had a nest and eggs nearly daily after that-no injuries or ripped fins-limited fry eaten by the adults....water temps got over 100F and as low as 56F and they continued to spawn and I would still get lots of fry...I made a post about it in the breeding section if you want more details http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47192.....had several set up in different containers with mix of male and females....worked well.......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-14-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #9 
Perdue

couldnt summer hot temperatures make the water too hot and hurt the bettas?
Perdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to keep them in full sun for longer than a couple of hours-depending on the size of the container and amount of water-in shallow containers the heat can be a problem-in tall deeper container will give the fish a place to go and get away from too high temps....in the shallow containers full shade and close monitoring of the water temp will be needed to prevent cooking the fish
In the 5g buckets I used the water would stay much cooler at the mid and bottom level and the top would reach over 100F on some days and the fish tolerated it without issue and continued to spawn...same as when it started to get cold or it rained-the water temp would get down to 56F and take several hours before it would warm back up, however, a plant mass mixed with leave at the top would be much warmer inside due to decomp when I check temps and this is where a lot of the fry would be found.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote