Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #1 
nunuchan

Half a beard?

So my betta, Heroman, showed me his full beard for the first time today. All of the other times I had seen him flare (maybe a month since he has ), he's only extended one side of his beard. Is this normal?
I've had him in a tank with another male betta (separated by a blue wall with holes) and even then he only flared half of his beard. He flared this time full on at his reflection in a mirror (the first time he's seen his reflection).

Just curious if this is a quirk of his, or if he might have hurt his beard a while ago.
nunuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #2 
Juneii

My friend's betta had this problem, he scraped against gravel as he was flaring one day and damaged his beard. Now he can't fully flare on one side. As long as it's not causing your betta any pain I think it's going to be okay. I don't think they can heal up again but it won't hurt to avoid letting your betta flare for a while to see if that will make it better.
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #3 
Arowan

I had a betta that was like that for a couple years--I don't think I ever saw him give me a full flare.

Still, he was an awesome betta, and it didn't seem to bother him any--he flared at me all the time, and it never bothered him--just made him look silly!
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #4 
Bettacrazy90

MY other betta, steve has a partial beard, since my G-friend kept it in a small bowl, I have no idea if it got damage or what. But he is one energetic fish and constatly flares at me with his half-beard....its kinda cute....
Bettacrazy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #5 
baylee767

BOTH my Bettas have half a beard. When I got them they were like this, since they're veils either A. They weren't bred right or B. They got injured as a fry or something.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #6 
sayurasem

the black flaring thing is called beard?????
lol i learned something new everyday.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote