Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #1 
Rain Drop

Bye Caesar</3

So if he's not dead already, I'm in the process of euthanizing my dear Caesar.
I chose the overdose of clove oil method....seems the most humane. I'm just distressed because the poor bugger totally freaked (for 3 seconds only, but still...)as I added the clove oil solution to his bit of tank water. I think I might have added too much at once and so he noticed the change in water....I just feel so bad. I wanted to do it gradually so it'd be gentle for him, but he's already on his way to fishy heaven now.

The reason I chose to end it for him was that he had this massive growth on either side of his body. On one side it was so big that his skin stretched soooo much that I could see through it like a bubble xP Anyways, he could barely swim, he stopped eating a few days ago, and was insanely skinny. He can't talk, but I just knew he had to be suffering. And why let nature take its course when I know he would die from his sides bursting open? Ouch.

I feel somewhat better for him and for myself, but I wish he wasn't so scared just before he fell unconscious. I know bettas don't have the capacity to understand what I was doing to him.

And a little bit about my big grumpy Caesar boy.
He was my first fish and betta. I got him July 2009 which made him about 1.5 years (probably closer to 2 years since he was older already at the pet store). He was sooooo an impulse buy, but come a few weeks and I learned to love him like any other pet c: So grumpy looking and sparkling blue. He stressed me when he would constantly bite his tail off (which I swear was his signature thing). He always made the biggest bubble nests too! Yeah, I'm going to miss him.....
Attached Images

Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #2 
Aluyasha

I had to euthanize one of my bettas not to long ago. It is a very hard thing to do. When we get our pets we make a promise to always be there for them and to protect them from pains, and that promise extends to the end of their lives aswell. You protected him from what he would of experienced if you let nature take its course uninterrupted. R.I.P. Caesar, you were a very beautiful fish.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #3 
CodeRed

I've euthed before, and my boy freaked out like yours did. It's so, so hard to watch. I'm sorry you had to do it, but just think that he's much more comfortable now.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Caesar. He had a good life with you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #5 
Rain Drop

Thank-you guys, I feel better now.
It was the right thing to do.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

I never had to euthanize yet. I'm sure it is very hard to do.
R.I.P. Caesar, you will be missed.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote