Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #31 
TaylorW

I think it's just come down to you need to physically remove the algae or he will continue to suffer further and/or die...
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #32 
pretzelsz

I went to go remove it and since his eye is now blind I can't get to the algae because he freaks and darts away in fear.... it is not effecting his swimming abilities at all. Both fins are free the algae is just around his blind partially out eye and his dangling fin twisted alittle in the algae. I'm trying to look for a way around this, I want to help him but it is near impossible now(I will keep trying though)
pretzelsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #33 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a clear pic to give us a better idea????
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #34 
baylee767

This all sounds terrifying.

I agree with OFL a picture would really help for the experts who know the most on curing this sort of thing. If I were you I wouldn't put him in a 20g tank unless he was completely recovered, remeber you will need frequent water changes to help him recover, and if something goes wrong in the 20g with the filter or something it could spell disaster. Wait for him to be better before putting him in a big 20g where it is harder to reach the surface than in a, say, 2 or 5 gal.

Good luck! Sounds like you need it. Though it also sounds like he's pulling through!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #35 
pretzelsz

Read this before you look at pictures please! Two things, one is that they aren't great because he chose the shadiest corner of his QT. Two is that some people(if they can make it out) may find this disgusting so don't say I didn't warn you.

Hope this helps alittle it is the best I could do ATM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #36 
baylee767

Wow that's really scary. I would feel the impulse to just yank it and get it over with, but than I got second thoughts. Stress, it would be tramautic, scarring, and might kill him. Though it might not.

Maybe there is some way you can kill off the moss so that it dies and "melts off" Your Bettas face quickly? I'm no plant expert, so we need some one who is to tell if that is even possible.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #37 
kholder

Obvious this is causing your fish a lot of stress...and you...and me.... and I am hoping the experts are not becoming too irritated with this situation.

I had read posts about the proper way to euthanize a fish...clove oil then vodka (in a nutshell). The clove oil is used to make the fish sleep. The vodka is the final step in putting him down.

Could pretzelsz just use some clove oil to put this fish out, and then remove the algae? Skipping, of course, the vodka part. If so, could someone give pretzelsz's step by step instructions?
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #38 
pretzelsz

kholder that is what I kept meaning to ask but I kept forgetting by the end of my writing thank you, and thank you to everyone who has helped me so far I greatly appreciate it. So how can I tranquilize him so I can remove it?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #39 
MoePaac

You're worried about scaring him by putting your hands in the water, yet you leave this thing on his eye? Remove it and begin the salt treatment as suggested.

Net him if you have to so you can get a hold of him. Be gentle, but do what you have to in order to get rid of it. Then immediately put him in the QT tank with the salt treatment. Dim the lights, let him rest. Clean, fresh (salted) water everyday while he heals. After about ten days, move to just fresh water.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #40 
TaylorW

Do you have any stress coat? Maybe you could use some of that to help calm him. I'd be careful with the clove oil, too much could actually euthanize him.

The longer the algae is on him the worse this gets, so I would find someone non-squeamish/not emotionally attached to the fish to just rip the algae off... The more stressed he gets the weaker his immune system will get.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote