Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Mold on my coconut.

I had bought Janus one of those little coconut caves from Petsmart...it said that it was safe to use and made from natural coconut, so I assumed it was okay to put in my tank...

So anyway, last week I had gotten a bit behind with the waterchange and noticed that there was mold growing all over the coconut. I assumed it was a piece of food or something that I had missed that was molding.

Anyway, took it out-scrubbed it with a toothbrush under hot water until all the mold came off...soaked it in hot water for a few minutes...put it back in.

Just went to look at the tank again, and it looks like there's a small batch of mold growing on it again! What the heck?

Should I just throw it out, or is there anything I can do to stop it from molding? 'Cause it's really cute, it'd be a shame to throw it out. I'd seen other people use coconuts, so I dunno why mine is acting like this...

Last edited by Jupiter; 12-14-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic of it...it may be harmless fungus..... or maybe even BGA....what color is it, growth pattern etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Can't get a picture right now unfortunately.

It's kind of like fungus...like the kind that grows on food if you don't remove it...it's clear-ish and fuzzy looking and carpeted. Anyway, I removed it for now just to be safe since I got a new guy, put in something else instead.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 
Rain Drop

Maybe it's rotting?
I didn't think coconut shells could be in water without deteriorating.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #5 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
I say dont risk it, take it out and take it back and get your refund, do not whipe the current mold off and make sure to show it to them.
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #6 
Cravenne

I made my own coconut caves and have never had any molding issues. Strange it would happen a second time after you scrubbed it off. Perhaps it's been treated with something.

I'd definitely ask them about it. You could also try the vinegar trick..if it fizzes, it's bad for the tank.
If you really like it and want to keep it, boil it and boil it and then boil it once more.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote