Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #1 
konstargirl

fin rot on betta

Hi guys. today before I went to school, I notice that my betta Miyavi's finns were starting to decay on his tail. He had that since yesterday and I beleive because the past few days, it has been very cold in my place. This morning when I checked the temp, it was already at 67 F. IT was 67 F yesterday and then I did a quick water change to raise it back up. I guess overnight it went back down and I belive it was due to the temps going up and down dramatically. The tank heater is on, but I just don't understand why it does that. Can someone help? He lives in a 2 gallon hex BTW. Since I had him in August of this year, I never had this problem.

Thanks
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

MIYAVI!! <3

Sorry. Fan girl slipped out.

And WOAH! 67F?! That's WAY too cold for one...you should definitely get a heater that works and get that temp up to around 76-80F...

Fin rot is usually caused by poor water conditions. I suggest doing a 100% water change and take out any spiney plants that can further rip his fins (if they're plastic) and add aquarium salt to his water. OFL suggests 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon of water for 7 days with 100% water changes. You need to keep the water "pristine" ... in other words, super duper clean.

Also, please answer these questions

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #3 
konstargirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
MIYAVI!! <3

Sorry. Fan girl slipped out.

And WOAH! 67F?! That's WAY too cold for one...you should definitely get a heater that works and get that temp up to around 76-80F...

Fin rot is usually caused by poor water conditions. I suggest doing a 100% water change and take out any spiney plants that can further rip his fins (if they're plastic) and add aquarium salt to his water. OFL suggests 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon of water for 7 days with 100% water changes. You need to keep the water "pristine" ... in other words, super duper clean.

Also, please answer these questions

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
You like Miyavi too?? lol Thats why I named him. If I got a girl, I named her Melody, but since he was the only fish that had a personality of him, I immedialy got him.

Anyways.. um I know 67 F is way too cold for him. It might be okay for a goldfish or s tropicalfish that is hardy enough. This morning after my mom went to work I put blankets on him to go up a little and the temperature were back to normal, but I'o a water change just in case.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote