Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #1 
Juneii

Betta Fish a bit too nice?

So I have been observing my betta Neptune for a while now, lately he has not been interested in flaring or making bubble nests what so ever. When I first got him from the fish store he was flaring at the other bettas in the cups next to him and was generally a very angry fish. About a week later he calmed down a lot and made little bubble nests every once in a while.

It has been a month now since then and he does not seem to be making any bubble nests at all I got this little zoo med "exercise" mirror for him to flare at. The first few times he has encountered the mirror he would flare up and nip/attack the mirror. But that is only for a few minutes before he loses interest and wanders around his bowl and try to get my attention. Now he doesn't even get agitated or excited when he sees the mirror and opts to stay at the front of the tank and watch me.

I thought that it might be because he realizes it's just his reflection so I brought him over to my friends room and placed him beside my friend's betta tank. Her betta freaked out and started flaring like crazy, he just watched the other betta and turned around to look at me and my friend and swam around his bowl as if nothing is happening.

I worry if he is bored in his bowl, I try to put interesting things in there and move things around a lot. I watch from far away and he seems to entertain himself by glass surfing or spazzing out at the bottom of his bowl. Any one else's betta do this? Any suggestions to get him to flare or should I leave him be?
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #2 
betta fish crazy

Every fish has a different personality, just like people, and I think their moods can change just like ours. Just let him be himself.

I might have misread this, but are you keeping him in a bowl?
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #3 
Juneii

yes, I am keeping him in a 2 gallon bowl. Apart from him not taking interest in other bettas he is generally happy and healthy.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Well he IS a betta lol. I have bettas that make nests and flare all day..put them in the breeding tank and they sit there and do nothing xP
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #5 
Juneii

bettas are so temperamental XD