Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #1 
ChelseaK

Damaged fins question

This is my Hutch who I thought was a girl. (Actually thought was a boy cause I didn't buy him, but later figured it was a girl because I could see the ovipositor.) I'm not so sure anymore. After trying to introduce her/him into the sorority with the rest (at the same time I might add), she/he was a lot more aggressive than the others, and was the only one that got beat up a bit. Now I'm not so sure... So that's one question, what do you think?

Also, do I need to be treating with more than just Aquarium salt and extra conditioner (conditioner instructs to use extra when treating).

Right under his body, the fins seem to be almost transparent as I tried to show in the third picture.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #2 
ChelseaK

I really need to know if I should be doing something different for my poor girl :(
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would just keep using aquarium salt and do 100% water changes every day. I don't know what size tank he's in but if it's a large one I would put him in a hospital tank to make the water changes easier for you. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #4 
ChelseaK

Thank you dramaqueen!
I put her in a 2.5gal tub and used a bit of quick cure. I also put in aquarium salt.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

How is she doing now?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #6 
Miharu
Banned

Ok im going to be a pain

What size tank?
Heater? Temp?
How often do you do water changes?
How long have you had him/her?

At first glance I want to say female, but if you haven't had him/her long it could possibly be a very young male. Some females can be more aggressive then males. Could you get some better pictures?
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #7 
ChelseaK

Well, Hutch is still seeming like a girl to me! No change in attitude or behavior, and she's looking a lot better but there is not much for fin growth yet. I'm getting used to this "hospital tank" think unfortunately. One of my friends bought me a fish from a pet store, and he had ich. She of course didn't know that, but I've been treating him for almost 5 days now. It's going away but there are still traces. And Shirley, the girl that beat up Hutch, has been picking fights with Dolly, who is on top of the pecking order, and (I assume) Dolly has been picking on her right back but a bit more violently. Dolly has not a scratch on her but I came home last night to find a small chunk of Shirley's tail fin gone. :(