Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #1 
Aristophanese

minor problems and AQ salt question

Housing
What size is your tank?-2gal
What temperature is your tank?-not sure , I have a little 10 watt heater that says it turns on if the water is colder than 76 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?-yup- little wisper filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?-other than what comes from the filter, no.
Is your tank heated?see above- small 10watt heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?-none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?- top fin , color enhancing pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?-once a day- 3- 4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?-once , sometimes twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?- 50 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? declorinator, always- and this time about a tsp of AQ salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?\
I haven't water tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?- it has a little bit of tiny ball mass- thing hanging from one of the rays- sometimes I can see it when he swims by, sometimes I can't.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?-nope
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when I got him 2 week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?- a bit of aq salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill?-nope
How old is your fish (approximately)?- just got him, not sure

Aristophanese has a balled up- sort of tiny black looking thing on the end of one the rays- hasn't really changed since I got him- the fins were sort of blackened a bit on the edges - from what I read - it seems like it might be fin rot, although- in 2 weeks it hasn't gotten any worse. I put a bit of AQ salt in with this water change- I figured I would do a hundred percent change either tommorow or the next day anyway, and I wanted to see if he would show some improvement.
Then I read this post about someone who just randomly threw aq salt in with a water change and hours later her fish were all distressed- did I do a bad thing? I don't even think a teaspoon is the perscribed amount for two gallons. I kinda freaked, so I figured I would ask- if this isn't ok, I could always do 100 percent change later tonight.
Aristophanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #2 
Bettacrazy90

If your treating something, then I would use AQ salt sometimes, but it depends on the situation. One tps shouldn't hurt him. But betta fish are fresh water fish and it would put extra stress on his system because his body is trying to filter out the extra salt. OFL recommends only to have AQ salt in the tank a Max of 10 days. Epson salt is a much better way to treat him, about 1 tbs per gallon in a hospital tank for a few minutes everyday really helped Jose heal his fins after he attacked them. Just mix it up and put him in when your changing out the water in your main tank. That's what I did. If he isn't acting any different then he probably is absolutely fine.

Last edited by Bettacrazy90; 12-15-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Bettacrazy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #3 
Aristophanese

Thanks - I woke up this morning- He's still right as rain.- He'll get a 100% water change in the next day or so- although, I'm a bit nervouse about cupping or netting him- I haven't done it jus yet- all his changes so far have been 50%
Aristophanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #4 
Bettacrazy90

Just make sure the stitching on the net is on the outside so its nice and soft on the inside. Also, he WILL panic a little but if you do it quickly and get him into his cup, he should have no problems. DONT RUSH IT!
Bettacrazy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #5 
chippy0047

just use about 3 table spoons full it'll cure all that ails him and make his home a better place.
chippy0047 is offline   Reply With Quote