Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 
darevrin43

new betta fish

MY new betta fish just shipped in a want to make sure he is acclimated to his tank perfectly.

He is in a baggy thing right now and his water is yellow, how should i acclimate him to the new tank.

Do i pour the water from his little bag in or how should i go about this.

I know i need him to get adjusted to the water temp and that kind of stuff before he goes into the tank but not sure exactly how to go about it.

Any quick help?
darevrin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #2 
darkangel216

Never pour the water from the bag into his tank. That would just muk up the tank water. Normally I would say to float the bag he's in in the tank you want to put him in. That's so the water he's sitting in slowly adjusts the the tank water. Though in this case I'm not sure if you want to leave him in the bag since the water is yellow. I guess if he looks like he's ok, then float the bag for a bit, otherwise I'm not sure.
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

I agree with not leaving him in the yellow water. He's probably in extreme discomfort from the ammonia buildup that the color suggests.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #4 
darevrin43

well i put his bag in the tank for now with him in it to get him acclimated to the temperature, will he be in shock with the new water when i put him in there?? or is there a way to go about this
Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #5 
Creat

Never dump him directly into the water make sure the temp is the same, pour some tank water into the bag and after 15 min net him from the bag and put him in the tank.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #6 
darevrin43

thanks guys, doin exactly what yall said
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #7 
darevrin43

Well the new betta is in the tank, he swims to the top and will swim around for a sec, but not long after he will just go sit at the bottom and chill. Also he does some vertical swimming to with his tail hanging down. He was shipped all the way from thailand, could being shipped from that far make him be like this.

The last thing i need is for him to die because it was expensive to buy this fish.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

When you acclimate a fish you need to acclimate to not just temp but also the pH/KH/GH and nitrate among other things-especially with fish coming from overseas-it can take several hours unless the transhipper did this for you

If possible move the fish and the shipping water to a small container and slowly add small amount of the tank water to the container every 10-15 min-over at least an hour-use a thermometer and check the temp on occasion-once the small container is full-dump half this water out and throw away or give to your house plants and start over adding water from the tank to the fish-continue this until all the water in the container is 100% tank water....net the fish and add to the tank- and top off the tank as needed with fresh dechlorinated water.....

Your Betta may need more time-I would turn off the light-hold food tonight and offer food 20-30 min after lights on in the AM

Look forward to seeing some pic.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-15-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #9 
darevrin43

yea i already got rid of his water he came in earlier.

At first i put him into the water with him still in his bag at first to get him used to it, then i put some of my tank water in his bag for about 10 more min after that. Then put him into the tank and he swims for a min then chills for a while. I went to workout came back he was just laying on a plant thought he was dead for a min :( but then he started to swim.
He is a wonderful looking fish i dont wana lose him. i dont have the water he came in anymore.
Just let me know the steps i should take from this point to make sure he lives right, do you think i need to get the water tested.

Remember he was in a baggy of like yellow water for 4 days straight if not more when shipping
Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #10 
Creat

If he doenst have a heater I would get one soon. He is probably rather stressed and if he was shipped from a dealer it would explain why the water could have had tannins naturally. I suggest testing the water and be careful if it hasnt cycled yet. Maybe adding a little aquarium salt for him. And if you have any organic indian almond leaves or oak leaves to match the water he came from?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote