Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #11 
Tsuhei

I just wanted to clarify why the water was yellow: most shippers overseas (Cambodia, India, Thailand, Singapore...) put indian almond leaves in their water. So, the yellow pigment is most likely from indian almond leaves...which hardens scales, fights against infection/bacteria, and is an anti-fungal. So no worries...it's not like he peed in his shipping bag
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #12 
darevrin43

Well the thing is i keep my betta's upstairs in my house which cold air never comes up here. I have a thermometer in both tanks they consistently sit at 78 degrees throughout the day and right now it is 20 degrees outside.

I put water over the past week and a half into the tank from my other tank about two to three times and kept the filter running. i also had switched the filters around to and put the used one into the other tank.

So i am going to go get the water tested in just a few. Would adding salt now if the fish is actually ok hurt him or is this beneficial no matter what?? I dont want to stress him anymore if thats what it is.

Also i am going to turn out his light for a couple hours and see if that helps since he has been in a dark box for quite a few days
darevrin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

High ammonia is bad and can burn the fish but sudden swings in pH, nitrate and other things in the water can shock and either make the fish really sick or kill the fish....another hour in high ammonia is better than death....the ammonia in the shipping water will also be diluted every time you add tank water for acclimation .....also ammonia is usually colorless and the yellow was most likely tannins or an additive to bind ammonia to help during shipping.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #14 
darevrin43

ok so i tested his water and this is what the results were, is that everything i need to test or am i missing something???

He will swim up to top for air and swim at bottom for a minute then back to chilling.
Also i bought some aquarium salt, should i add this or just leave him be for now

Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #15 
MrVampire181

I think the water just has some Almond leaf extract in it...I'm going to start using it when I ship instead of methylene blue. There will be slight ammonia in the bag because fish excrete it through their gills but not as if he crapped in the bag :P Fish are not fed for a day or two beofre shipment to avoid buildu of ammonia in the bag.

How I acclimate:

1. I cut the bag or undo the rubberband.
2. Float the betta for an hour in his new home.
3. Add a little bit of new water...just an inch or so.
4. Float for one more hour.
5. Add another inch of water.
6. Float for an hour.
7. Add about 3 inches of water.
8. Float for a half an hour and the release in the new tank.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #16 
darevrin43

Well mine is already in the fish tank so im just trying to figure out what to do from here. I put aquarium salt he actually swam around to see what i was putting in the tank, but then layed back down once i was done
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #17 
NeptuneBlue

I just got a new betta today (from a petstore) and i did all the things suggested to acclimate him to the tank. He is very lethargic at this point. Do you think he is a little stressed from the move? He ate earlier, I have his temp in his water set at 78. Any suggestions? I am off for the next few days so I am going to keep an eye on him, I am just wondering what is going on with him. Thanks for the help :)
NeptuneBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #18 
darevrin43

mine is beginning to swim a bit more but still does a lot of chillaxing, i put aquarium salt in his tank to help him out. He also seems bloated not sure why he didnt eat for like 3 or 4 days when he was being shipped.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #19 
FishyFriend1

ahh i have the jungle strips too.

I believe that most petsmarts do water testing for free. well at least mine does. try taking about 2 cups of water in a bag over to have it tested
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #20 
darevrin43

well did a 100 percent water change today to see if that will help him and added some more aquarium salt to his tank, i really hope this works.