Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Why is Drax being difficult?

When I got home Friday night (Ok I've actually been asleep since Friday night hahahahahahahaha)
Anyway, the Tank is at around 78F thanks to the fairly stable heater.

I went to see Drax (Before I passed out in the basement from not sleeping all week.)

He seemed very interested in me again yet... my stomach turned. His eye is bad again, mom had failed to mention this apparently. As well as him looking thinner than normal. Which I guess is from him not eating.

So of course I tried to feed him...

Flakes, spit out.

Pellets, spit out.

Blood worms, oh those were an instant... spit out. Don't think he likes those.

My finals are all almost done (Just one ... final Thursday and I'm done).

*Twitch* Because I was 90% Delirious at the moment (Hadn't slept in week remember) I smelled his water and it smelled cleaner than I remember so the smell is gone. Then again maybe Drax is eating... my mom said she had cleaned out MOST of the uneaten food... and I didn't see much if any food sitting around.

Plants? *Slaps Everyone* They are THRIVING! Even the Submerged leaves seem brighter and are growing more stalks, all roots have grown a few inches (Probably will trim soon).

Just why is Drax so... weird now when everything around him is perfect!

I wouldn't even be bothered by his eye as much if he just ate! He seems to be happy otherwise! Seems VERY adjusted to the tank. Mom says... and I noticed as soon as I got home that he likes to sleep behind the heater... which seems he must want it warmer or something...

Colors? I had left the tank light on 'Night' so I didn't really look to much haha.

But who knows I just woke up after literally 24hrs of sleep... and I'm... not paranoid at all hahahahahaahha.

Half of me is just assuming he's dying and that I can't do a thing about it (Because of the non-eating). If so... *Sips wine* Oh well I'll just torch the local PetSmart and call it a day.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #2 
Meg215

He is probably not eating because of his eye. Even if everything around him looks great and he swims normally and everything, something must still be wrong with him if his eye is getting popeye-ish again. When my betta Felix got popeye he would keep attempting to eat like he wanted it but always spit it out. Are you keeping up with water changes and maybe a bit of aquarium salt? I would just try to keep his water really clean so that nothing irritates his eye. Hope it gets better. =/
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg215 View Post
He is probably not eating because of his eye. Even if everything around him looks great and he swims normally and everything, something must still be wrong with him if his eye is getting popeye-ish again. When my betta Felix got popeye he would keep attempting to eat like he wanted it but always spit it out. Are you keeping up with water changes and maybe a bit of aquarium salt? I would just try to keep his water really clean so that nothing irritates his eye. Hope it gets better. =/
Well it has now been a week... just been recovering myself from sleep deprivation (college finals).

Water change, what I would do, so mark off what I would change or if I'd be doing it right.

Put Drax back in vase with tank water. Remove decor from tank and clean with scolding water... scrub tank clean with 'never seen soap' abrasives. Put water back in tank and add dechlorinates, add decor, add plants (He REALLY loves those vines) .... and how much salt should I use? 1tsp per Gallon just seems like so much! When you look at the big crystals. Then wait for water to reheat to to 78F.

And yes... he's the same way as yours he KEEPS trying to eat but as if he can't swallow.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 
Meg215

As far as I know it's 1 tsp to a gallon, let it dissolve real good...once it's dissolved I still give it a little stir to make sure its all mixed. ;)
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #5 
CrankyFish84

Sorry you are having troubles again!

Do you have any garlic juice (just plain old kitchen type) on hand?
You can try soaking the pellets or bloodworms in it for a minute, then offer them...garlic is an appetite encourager for fish & has antibacterial properties. And the salt does look like a TON I know...But
it won't hurt him if used for I believe 10 days max (then it stops being as effective).
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyFish84 View Post
Sorry you are having troubles again!

Do you have any garlic juice (just plain old kitchen type) on hand?
You can try soaking the pellets or bloodworms in it for a minute, then offer them...garlic is an appetite encourager for fish & has antibacterial properties. And the salt does look like a TON I know...But
it won't hurt him if used for I believe 10 days max (then it stops being as effective).
I have Garlic... POWDER... Garlic... SALT ... Garlic WHOLE.

Course I would get the sick Betta, being me I would just get a new one but because I have the conscience of a Saint I can't and will end up driving myself mad for a fish that cost me nothing but cost himself almost a fortune now.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #7 
vaygirl

The dosage on my aquarium salt says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon or a tbsp per 5 gallons. I'd change his water for sure. You don't really need to scrub his tank down unless there's unsightlies on it (diatoms, algae, etc). You can just rinse it. But run his decor under hot water too.

Popeye is usually water related. Any uneaten food in a tank puts out extra ammonia, so you have your fish secreting ammonia and your uneaten food putting it out too. To a new fish, who's stressed anyway and probably had a rough time in a cup for a bit, these things can have more of an effect on them. Get that test kit and start keeping track of when his water quality is declining. It's really important, when you're first starting out, to understand the way these things swing. Later you'll get a 'feel' for it.

Good luck! :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #8 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
The dosage on my aquarium salt says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon or a tbsp per 5 gallons. I'd change his water for sure. You don't really need to scrub his tank down unless there's unsightlies on it (diatoms, algae, etc). You can just rinse it. But run his decor under hot water too.

Popeye is usually water related. Any uneaten food in a tank puts out extra ammonia, so you have your fish secreting ammonia and your uneaten food putting it out too. To a new fish, who's stressed anyway and probably had a rough time in a cup for a bit, these things can have more of an effect on them. Get that test kit and start keeping track of when his water quality is declining. It's really important, when you're first starting out, to understand the way these things swing. Later you'll get a 'feel' for it.

Good luck! :)
100% water change and water has been salted.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #9 
Dammerung2010

If the popeye doesn't clear up in a few days you may want to try some Betta Revive. It works wonders :].

http://www.petco.com/product/102424/...es_Medications
Dammerung2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #10 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung2010 View Post
If the popeye doesn't clear up in a few days you may want to try some Betta Revive. It works wonders :].

http://www.petco.com/product/102424/...es_Medications
*UPDATE*

Seems Drax is FINALLY acting like the PIG he should be!
After 2 days of light Salting and Clean water he's FINALLY eating (Probably too much) had to tell my mom (I'll be home for good... well a month this Friday) to not feed him so much she was getting him to eat 4 pellets at a time haha... had to tell her to keep it at 2 pellets.

Least I can finally sleep easy knowing he's eating and being a pig about it (Which I think is how Betta's are supposed to be).