Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: How old should you be?
Any age is fine 0 0%
2 and up 0 0%
4 and up 0 0%
6 and up 1 4.76%
8 and up 3 14.29%
10 and up 4 19.05%
12 and up 8 38.10%
14 and up 4 19.05%
16 and up 1 4.76%
18 and up 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #11 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
And to answer your question mature is mature there is no middle to maturity if your pretty,relatively,super then your not mature! That's the whole point just being responsible. I'm sorry not trying to be mean or anything
hehe, not mean, I do agree with you on that!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #12 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I agree that it has more to do with maturity. I'm in college and I know 20 year olds not mature enough to own a fish XD

But in general, I wouldn't get a child a pet of their own before age 8, but I would encourage a child from age 2 to help take care of the family pets. This way they would be responsible and mature enough to take care of their own pet when the time comes.

Once again, in general (there are exceptions!), I don't think most kids under 8 poses the maturity to take care of a pet by themselves. And all kids should be supervised by their parents anyways to make sure that they are taking proper care of their animals, for the animal's sake.

And uh, I would say a child would need to be pretty mature so that they don't skimp on water changes, which is very important but can be a pain in the butt to do! :)
+1
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #13 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
hehe, not mean, I do agree with you on that!
thank you I do agree your post is a good answer too
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would say maturity is more important than age. I think how much time a person has to devote to a pet is important, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #15 
Dragonlady

I did not vote on this. I feel it is more complicated than just a number for age if someone is mature enough to care for bettas. People, just like bettas, mature at different ages. It is up to parents to use their best judgement for if a child is mature enough to care for a pet betta(s), and supervision is always a good idea.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #16 
Lamia

I totally agree that maturity and knowledge are more important than age. I think 11+ would be a good age to take care of a betta without help from the rents/siblings. I know personally I should not have been in charge of my childhood bettas because, yeah, at 8 I had no idea what I was doing. Unfortunately, neither did my parents.
Lamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #17 
doggyhog

I got my first betta when I was 7-8 ish. That poor fish didn't get the best care...

Than when I got my next one when I was 11-12 ish that was when I actually got into them and took really good care of them.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #18 
xswornxoffxjello

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I got my first betta when I was 7-8 ish. That poor fish didn't get the best care...

Than when I got my next one when I was 11-12 ish that was when I actually got into them and took really good care of them.
Yeah, that was me too, if you adjust the ages a bit...I think that a person would have to be very mature to take care of ANY animal by themselves.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #19 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
And to answer your question mature is mature there is no middle to maturity if your pretty,relatively,super then your not mature! That's the whole point just being responsible. I'm sorry not trying to be mean or anything
I have to disagree. There are stages in maturity, seeing as it is a frame of mind, and as the mind grows, it's very likely maturity will too. Take someone your age for example. Eleven. Yes, mature more so than a four year old(hopefully) but when you compare that kid to say a fifteen year old, there's a difference. Take a fifteen year old (like myself) yeah, mature -er than say an eleven year old, but still rather childish at times compared to an adult of say twenty-thirty years. What seems perfectly acceptable to some person one age may mortify a person of another age, who would then view the offending person as immature. Of course this isn't always the case, and some children are born practically adults and some adults never seem to grow up, but typically, as one grows, one's maturity develops.

You're definately mature, I can tell by your post you're trying hard to make sure you sound the way you are (I'm doing so too), but chances are you do stuff that's immature, so your level of maturity might be less than mine. That doesn't mean you aren't mature though. In my eyes, if I knew you, I might view you as childish (maybe not), but by doing so, an older person might view me as immature for looking 'down' on a kid only about 4 years younger than me. See, maturity is also opinion based, so a person can be mature on levels. Life isn't black and white. It's grayscale, and as such, areas fuzz inbetween,

Last edited by JKfish; 12-15-2010 at 10:01 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #20 
baylee767

Maturaty and responsibility. Sometimes people are mature about everything except what you need them to be. For example, my 9 year old sister is super mature about lots of things for someone her age. She works extra hard in all things, she researches before acting, and she is always careful to do things the right way and think it through.

Knowlage isn't necessarily the same as responsibility, though. A few months ago I got my first Betta (Before I learned proper Betta care, R.I.P. unnamed Betta) She decided to get one too. Now, a few months later, I'm nuturing him back to health. The point is, she is mature about everything. Except for pet keeping.

I was also much more unknowlagable and immature about Bettas a few months ago, too. I didn't bother to do the research (immature!) skimped on water changes, even though I was doing too few because of instructions (immature!) And I failed to even noticed all the problems that occured on my Betta (IMMATURE!!!)

If I had researched in the first place, he would have lived. Not if I just read do this many water changes, but if I read that Bettas almost instantly get problems with their fins when they have bad water conditions and can die easily (IMO!) I would have realized that being more mature meant the difference beween life and death in a Betta.

I personally know that I'm probably the only person in my family mature enough for Betta care. Sorry if it sounds snobby, but my mom hates fish, my dad gets SUPER impatiant easily (He has a salt water tank and gets stressed just testing the water...) My brother is also impatiant, and my sister isn't responsible enough.

So, go ahead and get your sister a Betta. In fact, don't get her a Betta but tell her for Christmas when ever you next go to the pet store she can choose a Betta so she find one she really wants and tries really hard to take good care of it. Sure, do that. IF she bothers to do research, is patient, has shown responsibility before with pets, and commits to the things she gets. If she does none of these, don't even bother because it'll end in disaster.

Last edited by baylee767; 12-16-2010 at 02:00 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote