Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #11 
nomoretickets

I personally love white sand bottoms, I think it's classy as can be. You could also try using foam to carve a rock looking back ground and paint it with aquarium safe paint. I saw a write up on this some where and it was sick
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #12 
nomoretickets

Found it!

Have fun
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects...oration/17.asp
Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #13 
Alex09

Instead of dividing, which I believe would be a major PITA as others have said, I would do a big community tank with a male betta (or a few females) as centerpice. I would also add some corydoras, a school of neon tetras (or black neon tetras) and maybe some platies, Harlequin rasboras, or zebra danios.

Aquascaping
Plan A: something just amazing like this

If that proves too difficult then Plan B would be a riparium.

Plan C: Classical triangle formation

Yes, I got it all planed out ;) Probably would be expensive but so worth it lol. This is exactly what I am going to do in the future when I have my own place and a big tank.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-18-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #14 
nomoretickets

^ Plan A ftw!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #15 
TaylorW

That rock wall link is awesome! I wonder if I could make something awesome like that on a smaller scale for my 2.5 gallon!!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #16 
Fawnleaf

Ok, first off, SORORITY ALL THE WAY! It's really a pity to divide that large of a tank, as stated above several times. I have a sorority and I love it! Just be careful with the females at first. But seriously, all my girls lived in little cups in he petstore, and never moved. I put them into their new home and they were like WAAA?? They loved it, and so did I!! SORORITY!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #17 
ChelseaK

Check it check it!

I met with the guy that wants to sell me the tank today. He has a catfish and 4 African Cichlids right now (ugly ugly fish in my opinion), but he said he would take them to the pet store because they don't want them. Anyway, it's a really nice setup, comes with the filter, the stand, light, hood, heater, everything!
I had told him before "I looked up how much those cost, and I know I can't afford it" but he kept saying "we'll work something out"

So I go and look at the tank, and after a bit I ask how much they were thinking of selling it for....

wait for it....

60 bucks!!!

I of course acted not too surprised or anything but I made plans with him to pick it up next week. I got to the car and
was like WHAT A STEAL!!
So, I am going to have a planted sorority! Yay! I have started my research, and have been following OFL's advice pretty close and think I will be using potting soil with sand over it and probably some colored gravel over that (correct me if that is not the way to go)

Plants? I'm not so sure, but I came across an excellent site that someone posted here awhile back, and that spells out the best plants for my set up so that should be good....

Any more suggestions?! I'm so excited!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #18 
Sweeda88

Get some cool river rocks. They sell them for $2 for a 1 pound bag at PetSmart. They aren't uniform in color, so they make for a nice, natural looking tank. They'd be fun for your girls to hid behind. They're not huge, but a female could definitely hide behind one.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #19 
Fawnleaf

Depends on the look you want. River rocks ROCK if you want something easy to clean and that looks natural. However, I like the look of... well, different looks. In one tank I have this Buddha-Shrine look. In another, jungle. And soon to come, Spongebob!! (Yeah, I'm still a kid. Get over it.) In my jungle, I went with river rocks. Easy to clean and looks natural. In my Buddha-Theme I went with black gravel. And of course, Spongebob's tank will have sand. So it really just depends on the look, but everything's great! (As long as you clean it regularly, a gravel vaccum costs MAYBE $8 (maximum) at a petstore.) Don't leave that out of the budget, it's very important! (In case you didn't notice, that was one mistake I made as a first time tank owner! )
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #20 
Sweeda88

I got a gravel vacuum at Petco for $2. It was on sale. =D
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote