Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #1 
fredythefish

Question Dead fish- new fish?

So about a week ago I got 3 platies to go along in a 5 g with Fred, and STUPID me, i got 2 different kinds. (I believed the Petco guy.) Anyways, the one that didn't come from the same tank had a small fin and i noticed that her tail was chewed up the day after. Now, I dont know if the other fish did this or I bought the fish like that. But it stopped eating and stayed at the bottom of the tank. When I came home today, I noticed it was dead . (Will be doing a water change!) The other two are completely healthy, btw.

So I guess my question/concern is, if I go out and buy another fish of the same exact kind, will the other ones be mean to it (haha) or should i get two so the new one has someone to be with? Because i know these fish need to be kept in schools..
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I dont know about the fish, but I was under the impression that a 5g is too small for a betta and other fish, besides snails, shrimp, ect. But I could be wrong :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 
TaylorW

A 5 gallon is too small to house more fish besides one betta in it, so your tank is already overstocked. If I were you I won't buy anymore fish.

Also, platies need to live in a group of 5 or more, so I would take the remaining platies back to the petstore since you have no room for anymore fish.

If you want you could divide the tank in half and get two bettas!

Last edited by TaylorW; 12-15-2010 at 06:47 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #4 
TaylorW

http://aqadvisor.com/

This is the best link for safely stocking your aquarium, you enter how many gallons your tank is and it tells you how many fish you can have and what kind.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #5 
fredythefish

Oh woops! I meant 10 gallon!! I wouldn't do that lol. My girl is in a 5 gallon.. Sorry for the mistake. So what do you think now?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #6 
TaylorW

Oh, sorry! 10 gallons is a different story! I'm not sure about the space requirements of platies, so I am not sure if they need 10 or 20 gallons.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #7 
fredythefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
A 5 gallon is too small to house more fish besides one betta in it, so your tank is already overstocked. If I were you I won't buy anymore fish.

Also, platies need to live in a group of 5 or more, so I would take the remaining platies back to the petstore since you have no room for anymore fish.

If you want you could divide the tank in half and get two bettas!
Also, all the research i did on them said 3 or more.. but you know the internet. Lol. and i saw the most beautiful crowntail at Petco... so taking the platies back might not be such a bad idea ;)
Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredythefish View Post
Oh woops! I meant 10 gallon!! I wouldn't do that lol. My girl is in a 5 gallon.. Sorry for the mistake. So what do you think now?
What a relief! I'm sure you could have about 5 platies in that tank, along with your betta, but I'm not sure, I just did a quick search.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote