Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

My fish won't eat!

Okay, so I have had my boy around a month. After a few days I thought he had started to eat, but I now don't think he did. He was in a heated 1 gallon. I moved him to my 10g and he won't eat. I don't know what to do. I have tried blood worms, and 2 other types of pellets. He is starting to get very thin, and doesn't seem to have a lot of energy. It is a divided 10g. It is divided three ways, he is on one end, and my other boy Ryo in on the other. I just don't know what to do. It bugs me that he refuses to eat.
Please help!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #2 
MoePaac

How recently did you move him to the 10g?

Any more information about the tank? Is it heated? Plants? Hiding places?
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

2 weeks ago? Maybe a little more. He has 2 plastic plants, and he has one of 2 heaters on his side. His tank is around 75. He is also next to the filter with a divided right next to it, so the filter isn't actually on his side of the tank.. He just hangs out there. His tank is filtered....and he only has one tank mate, but he is on the other side of the tank. I don't know what to do please help!

Last edited by a123andpoof; 12-15-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

Why does it seem that i when i post no one helps me!? I am worried about my fish, but no one gives me an idea of what could be wrong or what to do! I seriously don't want anything to heppen to my new guy, but if someone doesn't help me out I'm afraid something probally will happen! If you need more imformation just ask! But please try and give me something I can do to get him to eat!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #5 
r3h0ld3r

So he literally hasn't eaten in a month??

Why is the tank divided in three with 2 fish in it?
r3h0ld3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #6 
a123andpoof

Yeah, somewhere around there. I think maybe he has eaten a little, but I'm not positive.
I'm going to get another fish. But I am waiting because I have been so busy, and I am waitng for just the right fish.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #7 
MoePaac

Sometimes it takes a fish a while to adjust to his surroundings. Since he's in a new environment it may take some time. Feed him one pellet or something and see if it is gone every few minutes. Keep track of it so you know whether it has been eaten or not.

I believe soaking the food in garlic juice can help stimulate the appetite. Plus, it's good for their internals. Give this a shot as well.

Any information about his environment may end up being helpful. Water peram's if you know them, is the tank cycled, how often are you changing water, is your other fish eating?
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #8 
a123andpoof

Okay, I will see if I can try the garlic juice.
Also I noticed a weird bubbly thing hanging out of his stomach, that is now gone.
The params are:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: around 40ppm
Yes the tank is cycled.
Yes my other fish is eating normal. In fact I think he may be hungrier then usual XD
Water changes are around 25% twice a month.

I don't know if this would make any diffrence or not, but he seems to like the filter. Do you think he may be a little happier if moved to the section with the filter? The reason I didn't put him there in the first place, was I wanted Ryo to get used to another fish in the tank, but at a distance. Didn't want to overly stress him or Mura out.

Last edited by a123andpoof; 12-16-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Poor water quality and high nitrate may be part of the problem...I would start making 25% daily water changes daily for 3 days then 50% water changes for 3 days and then weekly 50% with substrate cleaning thereafter to maintain water quality and keep the nitrate under 20ppm
Vacuum the substrate with one of the 3-25% and one of the 3-50% and give the filter media a good swish/rinse in old tank water with the first 25% water change and then a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.

As posted garlic juice can sometimes stimulate appetite, however, you need to fix the water quality first.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #10 
a123andpoof

Okay, I will start with that.
And I think I got her to eat. I got some flaked food and he ate a little of that. I will do those water changes though!