Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #11 
kfish

Congratulations on your new tank!

If Bee is still having a constipation/bloat problem, I've heard Epsom salt 1 tsp/gallon could help.

You don't want to treat for more than ten days with Epsom salt.

Daphnia also can help, no idea where you get it, though. Some people use a tiny piece of a pea, but I've heard mixed thoughts about that.

I hope he's okay! But it doesn't sound like he's lethargic.

Here's a good link about it:

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/332/

It actually says that color-fade can occur. I think you definitely need to get him in an Epsom salt bath if he's still having a problem!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #12 
BettaBee

Thanks so much for the info, kfish! Finally, Bee went to the bathroom! In order to hopefully avoid any constipation in the future, I bumped him down from six to five pellets a day and am fasting him once a week. (I'll also keep this thread bookmarked; everyone's been so helpful and I'd love to keep all this information on hand!)

Unfortunately, Bee is still freaking me out over his color; I feel that he's definitely starting to pale and that his color is going dull. Also, the white on his abdomen/belly has seemed to intensify and he's starting to turn white/gray in the area under his mouth. I don't know if this is natural or something to be concerned about.

His new tank is 2.5 gallons, currently heated at 75 degrees with a working filter. I made sure to rinse off everything new in hot water before putting it in. I've also been using 1.5 mL of conditioner every time I do a water change; the last change was a 50% on Tuesday.

Here's a picture of the white... Cause for concern, or completely normal?
Attached Images

BettaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #13 
kfish

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about that. Does he still look bloated at all?

Maybe it's an age thing - my betta is white under his chin/on his chest, as well.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #14 
BettaBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know too much about that. Does he still look bloated at all?

Maybe it's an age thing - my betta is white under his chin/on his chest, as well.
He might still look a bit bloated, but I'd say the bloating is significantly less than before. I'm hoping this is just a matter of age or something else that turns out to be completely normal, but my lack of familiarity with Bettas makes me unsure of pretty much everything.

I for some reason forgot to include in my last post that Bee is extremely lethargic. He's been laying at the bottom of the tank fairly close to the heater (which I used to gradually heat up the tank from 71 to 75 degrees over a period of 24 hours) and swims up only for air and food; then it's right back to the bottom. His fins are also clamped.

If anyone has any suggestions, please... I hate seeing my baby like this!

Last edited by BettaBee; 12-24-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #15 
BettaBee

I'm attaching two more photos of Bee, both taken last night along with the last one I posted. Perhaps he is still bloated or having constipation troubles? (There is poop in his tank, but only one small amount.) He's still at the bottom of the tank, breathing quite heavily.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #16 
bettafish15

I noticed your heating your tank to 75, when it should be at least 78 :) 80 would be preferable, but no warmer than 84. That just caught my eye, so I had to say something xD anything under 75 is too cold ;D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #17 
BettaBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I noticed your heating your tank to 75, when it should be at least 78 :) 80 would be preferable, but no warmer than 84. That just caught my eye, so I had to say something xD anything under 75 is too cold ;D
Thanks for this! I was on my way to heating it up to 78, but it seemed that he became a lot more lethargic since I got the heater going (and I remembered how energetic he was prior to the heater, when he was in room temperature water) so I was debating keeping it at 75 and giving him some more time to adjust before changing the temp again.

...But about fifteen minutes ago, I got to thinking about the heater and unplugged it; less than ten minutes after, Bee was swimming all around his tank, which I'm taking as a good sign. (Though he seems to have settled now for floating at the very top of the tank...)

I'm still worried about this white/pearly coloring, though. Could it be ich? Maybe he has some marble somewhere in his lineage? I took another picture just now... (One thing I should also mention is that he hasn't made a bubble nest in at least three weeks. I don't know if that matters, but I figured it should be mentioned. )
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #18 
Creat

Ich looks like small grains of salt on the fish. Your guys doesnt have it so dont worry. It usually is something regarding the water fish get lighter with stress. If you are keeping up with the water changes however I wouldnt know why then. You may have ammonia in your water or something else. Although I dont think that he is doing any serious lightening yet so I wouldnt worry. And the lack of a bubblenest might be from so many changes in his environment but I wouldnt worry to much.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #19 
BettaBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Ich looks like small grains of salt on the fish. Your guys doesnt have it so dont worry. It usually is something regarding the water fish get lighter with stress. If you are keeping up with the water changes however I wouldnt know why then. You may have ammonia in your water or something else. Although I dont think that he is doing any serious lightening yet so I wouldnt worry. And the lack of a bubblenest might be from so many changes in his environment but I wouldnt worry to much.
Thanks for the input! Do you think I should do a 100% water change today or wait until tomorrow so that Bee can have a stress-free day today?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #20 
Creat

Go ahead and give him the water change just be sure to acclimate him to the new water slowly.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote