Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #1 
lostmyz

Resetting up tank

Hello All,

So I bought a Betta fish for my girlfriend a few months ago and everything was going fine with it. It lives in a Fluval Chi 5 gal tank. Things were going great with it. Until the winter hit and the water got to a relly cold 66 degrees so I bought a heater for it and its not anywhere b/w 74-78 at any given time. However soon after the heater the tank got really cloudy and I mean cloudy to the point where you couldn't see ANYTHING until the fish came right up the edge of the glass. I tried to correct it with daily water changes of like 10% and than a weekly 25-50% but honestly nothing had worked for it.

SO yesterday I took the tank down completely. Removed the substrate and everything. Added new substrate (sand) and took the beta plant that I had grown from a bud and chopped it down in a bit. It needed to be trimmed anyways it was getting out of control. Added my water conditioner to the water, my cycle to the water and a little bit of water clarifier. Also I cleaned the rocks and the fake plant and than added them back to the tank. Yesterday the tank looked great water very very clear. But this morning the water I can tell is a little cloudier given that I can see the rays from light shinning down into the tank. I added my second day of cycle to get the tank started today as well like I'm suppose to do but my real fear is that the tank is going to get super cloudy again and I'm going to be stuck in the same boat that I was before where it just gets out of control.

ANy thoughts? help? suggestions? would be great.
Here is a link to a picture of the tank
lostmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You have a filter correct.....
I would start making some 50% water only changes for a couple of days to start and during the nitrogen cycle I would then make twice weekly 50%-1-water only and 1-include the substrate in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots-unless you have water testing products and then the 50% water only can be based on ammonia, nitrite readings 0.25ppm or greater make 50% water only change

Give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month and when the flow slows to maintain good water flow

What kind of plant?

The cloudy water may be either bacterial bloom, residue from the sand or due to the cycle product you added
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #3 
lostmyz

I have what the package said was a Apoonogeton Ulvaceus but it looked nothing like the picture of the plant at full growth.... Mine is very thing and narrow stalks and very very tall. It grew to the top of the tank and than sprouted it leaves that were oval-like and this attempt at what was a flower that was white and bifurcated as it grew out of the water.

Yes I am using a filter its what came with the Fluval Chi set up. I just took the filter apart and gave it a thorough cleaning and changed the filter material. The one thing i forgot to do when I re-set up the entire tank.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Apons are nice plants...good choice....

Don't over clean the filter media at this stage-a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow....you want it to look dirty-this is the good bacteria you need to help maintain the nitrogen cycle-when you change out the filter media on a new setup-be sure and cut some of the old sponge part off and keep in the filter to help seed the new media-on mature setup you don't really need to do that because you usually will have plenty of good bacteria on the walls, decorations and top layer of the substrate as well as inside the filter box-the filter media is just one place it colonizes-very little nitrifying bacteria are in the water column itself since it is sticky and adheres to everything so the water only changes won't stall/slow the nitrogen cycle

I have never heard of the Fluval Chi 5gal-it sounds like a nice set-up, I will have to go look for it and see what it is all about-unless you have a link...lots of new setup these days hard to stay up with all of them.....
Old 12-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #5 
lostmyz

I just did a 50% WC and it looks a little better but I can see debris and fibrous stuff occasionally floating throughout the tank. My filter s working fine and the fish and 3 snails are loving every minute its not really bothering them as much as the lack of crystal clear water that I once had is gone. But here are some pictures.

Here is Popeye:

Here is Popeye's Fluval Chi (yesterday after resetting up his tank):

Here is what was suppose to be an Apoonogeton Ulvaceus but isn't...
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

That is a awesome looking tank-I like the design of that thing and the sand really sets it off nicely too.....

What make you think that is not a Apoonogeton Ulvaceus-the flowers look like it but most apon flowers look like that...lol....you can use a paint brush and pollinate the flowers and get seeds.....also, you may want to pull the bulb up some out of the substrate it may do better for you...don't be surprised if it melts after a change and cutting the leaf that is normal and the leaves will grow back

Lovely Betta too by the way.....
Old 12-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #7 
scootshoot

Agree, that tank is sweet. The Sand bottom looks great in your tank.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #8 
lostmyz

Ty all. It will look better once this cloudiness goes away. I did a 50% WC today and a few hours later the cloudiness came back. I also checked the lvl's in the tank with a dipstick. It read.....
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0 - 0.5
Hardness 200 (high) I live in AZ and i use conditioner all the time.
Chlorine - 0
Alkalinity - 120
pH - 7.8-8.4 a little higher than I'd like it.

As for the plant I dunno the box showed something else on the bulbs so I wasn't sure if the bulb I got and the plant that grew was correct. But thank you for letting me know that it is.

So I definitely know at this point, my nitro cycle isn't toxic or anything. I guess I should just keep up with the daily 50% water changes only and to not mess with the substrate? I just don't get what it is. I set up a 30 gal tank the other day just the same way with the chemicals in this one and everything and it's crystal clear. The only difference is the betta tank has a heater in it because the temp was getting down to 66 this winter. During the spring, summer and fall in AZ the temp was perfectly fine and I didn't fear it getting too cold. Could my heater be causing this bloom to go out of control? The tank is around 76 always never really more. I attempted previously one time b4 i took the tank down for a few days doing WCs and not having the heater in but it didn't change a think. Also I don't over feed the fish. I give him 4-6 little betta pellets a day half in the am and half in the pm.

If you liked my tank you should check out fluvals other new small tanks they have this one called the EDGE its about 6 gals with a a glass top its pretty awesome. I like it a little more than this one. But this one works really well with my girlfriends apt and she loves and she loves her little popeye.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Thanks I will have to check the others out.....

The heater is not causing the bacterial bloom per se...however, the warmer the water the better the bacteria like it and reproduce faster/better..so it is more heat related and not the heater itself just what it produces...lol.....once you get a good colony of beneficial bacteria going the cloudy water should stop and this may take a couple of weeks-even if you stopped all water changes all together it would stop with time...but who want a cloudy tank and water only changes won't make it last any longer...it will just look better until it becomes stable and you start to see nitrate readings....

And your pH and hardness is fine by the way...I wouldn't add chemicals to change it-the Betta will adapt and be just fine.....