Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?-No
Is your tank heated?-No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?-None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?-Micro Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?-Twice a day, 7-10 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?-Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?-None, I use filtered water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?-No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?-White Lump near the Ventral Fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?-No
When did you start noticing the symptoms?-Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?-No
Does your fish have any history of being ill?-No
How old is your fish (approximately)?-Not sure, but has been under my care for 1 Month

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not too sure if it has been there since I got it, but it doesn't look like a good thing to me.Also, I would like to get a bigger tank for it but my dad says the space for it is sufficient already an would not need a bigger tank.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks.
hebooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #2 
fredythefish

is it a female betta?
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #3 
hebooz

I can't be too sure whether its a male or female betta
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 
fredythefish

does it have long fins? very bright colors? where did you get the betta?
females have a little white bump..
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #5 
JKfish

..... Your tank should honestly be heated, and wheter or not your water is filtered, you should use some sort of dechlorinator.... however... back to the topic.

Chances are you've got a girl. If she has short fins, short ventrals, etc and has that white dot between her ventrals, that's alright. the dot would be her ovidepositor, completely normal with girls :) Take a look in the picture section. Some members have photos of boys, and some of girl bettas. See which ones your betta looks most like
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #6 
Dragonlady

Without a picture it is hard to say. Look up lymphocystis and white spot. Bettas are more prone to disease when kept at lower temperatures than they prefer.

Last edited by Dragonlady; 12-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #7 
hebooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
..... Your tank should honestly be heated, and wheter or not your water is filtered, you should use some sort of dechlorinator.... however... back to the topic.

Chances are you've got a girl. If she has short fins, short ventrals, etc and has that white dot between her ventrals, that's alright. the dot would be her ovidepositor, completely normal with girls :) Take a look in the picture section. Some members have photos of boys, and some of girl bettas. See which ones your betta looks most like
I am aware that I need a heater and dechlorinator, but I can't get one since my dad thinks the fish are just fine just the way they are now

Also, by short ventrals and fins, how short should they be?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #8 
Tsuhei

Just post a picture of your fishie and we'll tell you if it's a boy or girl Or what's wrong with it
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #9 
JKfish

If you look at Tsuhei's avvie, she's got a male plakat (short finned).... so his fish's fins are about the length your girl's would be, though probably not that same type of fin style, however the ventrals on the male in the pic are much longer proportionally than a girls would be. Girl ventrals are pretty short and very thin.

Alright. I know what you mean, present your dad with the facts (5 year life span, tropical fish, needing blah blah blah, and all that jazz... maybe he'll crack after a few weeks of persuasion XD) If you can save up the money and know where to look (ebay, craigslist, flea markets, good will, garage sales, etc), you can get everything so cheap :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #10 
hebooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Just post a picture of your fishie and we'll tell you if it's a boy or girl Or what's wrong with it
Okay, I will try to get a good shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
If you look at Tsuhei's avvie, she's got a male plakat (short finned).... so his fish's fins are about the length your girl's would be, though probably not that same type of fin style, however the ventrals on the male in the pic are much longer proportionally than a girls would be. Girl ventrals are pretty short and very thin.

Alright. I know what you mean, present your dad with the facts (5 year life span, tropical fish, needing blah blah blah, and all that jazz... maybe he'll crack after a few weeks of persuasion XD) If you can save up the money and know where to look (ebay, craigslist, flea markets, good will, garage sales, etc), you can get everything so cheap :)
Already presented, but he still insist they already got more than needed, its not that I can't afford it, I have the money but I can't buy it without his permission.