Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #1 
hebooz
New Member
 
hebooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
White-ish Lump Near the Ventral Fin?

Housing
What size is your tank?-Not even 1 Litre
What temperature is your tank?-Room Temperature
Does your tank have a filter?-No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?-No
Is your tank heated?-No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?-None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?-Micro Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?-Twice a day, 7-10 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?-Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?-None, I use filtered water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?-No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?-White Lump near the Ventral Fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?-No
When did you start noticing the symptoms?-Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?-No
Does your fish have any history of being ill?-No
How old is your fish (approximately)?-Not sure, but has been under my care for 1 Month

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not too sure if it has been there since I got it, but it doesn't look like a good thing to me.Also, I would like to get a bigger tank for it but my dad says the space for it is sufficient already an would not need a bigger tank.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks.
hebooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #2 
fredythefish
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
is it a female betta?
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #3 
hebooz
New Member
 
hebooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
I can't be too sure whether its a male or female betta
hebooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 
fredythefish
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
does it have long fins? very bright colors? where did you get the betta?
females have a little white bump..
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #5 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
..... Your tank should honestly be heated, and wheter or not your water is filtered, you should use some sort of dechlorinator.... however... back to the topic.

Chances are you've got a girl. If she has short fins, short ventrals, etc and has that white dot between her ventrals, that's alright. the dot would be her ovidepositor, completely normal with girls :) Take a look in the picture section. Some members have photos of boys, and some of girl bettas. See which ones your betta looks most like
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #6 
Dragonlady
Member
 
Dragonlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Without a picture it is hard to say. Look up lymphocystis and white spot. Bettas are more prone to disease when kept at lower temperatures than they prefer.

Last edited by Dragonlady; 12-12-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #7 
hebooz
New Member
 
hebooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
..... Your tank should honestly be heated, and wheter or not your water is filtered, you should use some sort of dechlorinator.... however... back to the topic.

Chances are you've got a girl. If she has short fins, short ventrals, etc and has that white dot between her ventrals, that's alright. the dot would be her ovidepositor, completely normal with girls :) Take a look in the picture section. Some members have photos of boys, and some of girl bettas. See which ones your betta looks most like
I am aware that I need a heater and dechlorinator, but I can't get one since my dad thinks the fish are just fine just the way they are now

Also, by short ventrals and fins, how short should they be?
hebooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #8 
Tsuhei
Member
 
Tsuhei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Just post a picture of your fishie and we'll tell you if it's a boy or girl Or what's wrong with it
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #9 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
If you look at Tsuhei's avvie, she's got a male plakat (short finned).... so his fish's fins are about the length your girl's would be, though probably not that same type of fin style, however the ventrals on the male in the pic are much longer proportionally than a girls would be. Girl ventrals are pretty short and very thin.

Alright. I know what you mean, present your dad with the facts (5 year life span, tropical fish, needing blah blah blah, and all that jazz... maybe he'll crack after a few weeks of persuasion XD) If you can save up the money and know where to look (ebay, craigslist, flea markets, good will, garage sales, etc), you can get everything so cheap :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #10 
hebooz
New Member
 
hebooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Just post a picture of your fishie and we'll tell you if it's a boy or girl Or what's wrong with it
Okay, I will try to get a good shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
If you look at Tsuhei's avvie, she's got a male plakat (short finned).... so his fish's fins are about the length your girl's would be, though probably not that same type of fin style, however the ventrals on the male in the pic are much longer proportionally than a girls would be. Girl ventrals are pretty short and very thin.

Alright. I know what you mean, present your dad with the facts (5 year life span, tropical fish, needing blah blah blah, and all that jazz... maybe he'll crack after a few weeks of persuasion XD) If you can save up the money and know where to look (ebay, craigslist, flea markets, good will, garage sales, etc), you can get everything so cheap :)
Already presented, but he still insist they already got more than needed, its not that I can't afford it, I have the money but I can't buy it without his permission.
hebooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White tipped ventral fin BunniesLair Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 08-01-2010 09:09 AM
Tifa's Ventral Fin metalbetta Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 0 05-28-2010 08:25 PM
omg large white lump under knights head!!! MermaidLex Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 0 02-22-2010 09:19 PM
Ventral fin problems? lilyrazen Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 0 12-26-2009 04:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.