Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Exclamation Possible fin rot/ I have no idea what, help please!

My fish has been hiding himself in his cup and hasn't come out to eat or anything in the past week. I finally took his cup away today and he flipped out and was darting everywhere. Once he stopped for a sec I saw that his fins look more clear and were turning brown. I think is it fin rot, can anyone help me on how to treat him? I'm thinking about taking away his plant because he is trying to hide in it. It's a plastic silk one.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal (he's in a temporary storage container because his other tank was making him sick)

What temperature is your tank? 72-78 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Blood worms, he won't eat anything else since the first day I bought him. Could this be the cause?
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually twice a day, but now it's whenever I can get him to eat.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 time a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:n/a
Nitrite:n/a
Nitrate:n/a
pH:n/a
Hardness:n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail is more translucent and more brown colored. He also has slight frayed edges.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He won't come out of his cup, I had to take it away in order to try and feed him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The past 5 days, the tail thing just today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know how.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him 4mo ago from petco.

My roommate got a fish too but her's is just fine it his .5gal tank and she doesn't add conditioner or anything. Mine was fine too up until the last month when I started adding new water conditioner because the old one ran out. I upgraded him to a 3gal clear storage bin. I haven't done anything different with him and I don't know where all these problems are coming from, her fish has had zero problems and I put a lot more care into mine. Can anyone help? I leave for a month starting this Sunday and am leaving this fish with a friend.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #2 
Panthera

I dont really know what the issue with the tail is, could be finrot, but you really should be doing more water changes then that. At least every 2 days, if not every other day.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #3 
bettafish15

IDK much about finrot, my betta's never had it, but from what I hear its caused by bad water quality, so more water changes would certainly help :) Also, 72F is too cold for bettas, please try to keep him at a minimum of 75F ;D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #4 
Tsuhei

I would keep the temperature around 76-80F. For now, I would do a 100% water change for about a week...definitely remove the silk plant but make sure he has another place to hide like a little cave or a coffee mug.

OFL suggests 100% water changes for a week with 1 tsp Aquarium Salt per gallon of water for 7-10 days and no longer - treating with Aquarium Salt for longer than that can compromise his system.

For now, keep his water pristine and remove anything that looks "sharp" in his tank. Best of luck.

Also: For a 3 gallon tank, I would make at least 2 water changes a week... 50-75% water change for the first change, then 100% for the second change. Fin rot is usually caused by poor water conditions.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

The plastic plant may be part of the problem too, however, you need something in the tank for him to hide in so he feels more secure so he will not be so stressed

In a 3gal unfiltered tank I would increase your water changes to 1-100% and 1-50% a week to maintain water quality

Right now-I would start with 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days and if you have either Indian almond leaf or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal)to add tannins would also help....since you are also having appetite issues that can make it harder to get healing and boost of immune response-if you can get any fresh garlic and use the juice on the pellets may or may not help or even live foods or frozen would be good....hopefully once you get the water quality improved and get him feeling better he will start to eat.....

You do want to try and get the water temp at least 76F-they can tolerate lower temps short term but when already compromised they won't do well in lower temps even short term....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #6 
c4talys7

I'm not sure if anyone would know the answer to this but would I be able to check a betta at the airport if he was in a box and everything? Its a 6hr flight back to Oregon for me and the guy that is suppose to watch my fish can't handle it I think so I want to take him back home with me. I was just wondering if checking him would be okay to do as opposed to shipping him.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #7 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4talys7 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone would know the answer to this but would I be able to check a betta at the airport if he was in a box and everything? Its a 6hr flight back to Oregon for me and the guy that is suppose to watch my fish can't handle it I think so I want to take him back home with me. I was just wondering if checking him would be okay to do as opposed to shipping him.
I think you'd have to ship him unfortunately..if there's a way to check him at the airport, then getting from Hawaii to Oregon will be easy...coming back is the hard part. Hawaiian airports likes to quarantine animals for a certain period of time to make sure that they aren't bringing something nasty to the island or won't infest the island as an invasive species...they're kind of crazy about that stuff.

I'd express ship him if you have the money to.

EDIT: I know about the quarantine stuff because when my family was living there (I was born there hee hee) my mom wanted to bring her pink toed tarantula..and they wouldn't let her...but then again, my mom smuggled the poor thing in her coat pocket the entire flight from California to Hawaii anyway... that was when security wasn't all uppity though.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #8 
c4talys7

Okay, thank you. I would leave him with my boyfriend's parents. They have a pretty big fish tank with a filter and heater and whatnot so they know a little about fish care. I would leave him in their care till I can come back in the summer.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #9 
c4talys7

Update

I just put him in a new 2.5gal glass tank with aquarium salt and fit rot medication. I freaked out and hid behind his cup instead of in it. I trashed the plant and brought the ceramic mug back because I rather him run into a smooth curved object then a plastic plant. Hopefully he'll improve. His tail doesn't look very damaged at all but you can tell a little. That's if he will hold still.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #10 
c4talys7

Does anyone know if his eating will imporve? Or how often I should try and feed him? He hasn't been eating and I don't want him to starve.

Tags
fin rot, sick betta