Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #11 
Tsuhei

Well I would try to offer food to him...try feeding him micropellets..eating too many bloodworms can actually be kind of bad for their health. Offer one pellet at a time...but if it's still not working, I'd try to entice him with some frozen bloodworms and hold them in front of him with some tweezers / forceps. Remember to remove any food that he doesn't eat so it doesn't pollute his tank.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #12 
c4talys7

Exclamation UPDATED!!! its getting worse.

Okay, so if anyone can help please let me know. So I believe Link, my betta has fin rot. He's jumpy and diving head first into things and has been darting around whenever startled. Like I turned my room light on and he flipped. I took some water out of his tank and he flipped again. I just moved him into a new home last night and this is the second time in two weeks I have. He has finally come out of his cup today and still wouldn't eat. Earlier he was doing fine, now he hanging out at the surface and the only the only thing he does is run into the sides. I put medication for fin rot, aquarium salt, and conditioner in his water and I will be changing it again tonight. Below are recent pictures. Please help.

This is him today, he looked better earlier.

This is his tank and what I use on it. The salt and melafix are new. Also, he won't eat his pellet food and only sometimes the blood worms.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #13 
c4talys7

Also, this after 1 day of treatment. I can take him back on the plane to Oregon and get him set up with a filter and stuff. The TSA said I can have him as a carry-on. I was not leaving him with a friend after this.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #14 
c4talys7

Should I get rid of the cup?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #15 
Tsuhei

If he uses the cup to hide in, I would keep it in there so he can feel safe. And by the discoloration at the edges of his fins (kind of brown, slightly ragged), yes, he does have fin rot.

As for now, I personally wouldn't use Melafix at the moment. Adding too much to the water can upset your fish's system. But that's my preference...

A few questions:

1. When did you start adding medication
2. How did you add the aquarium salt after a 100% water change
3. Did you acclimate him?
4. How do you pull him out of the tank to clean the water
5. Are you using even teaspoons of aquarium salt or rounded teaspoons?

Just so you know, Melafix has an ingredient in it (Melaleuca) that can actually harm a betta's labyrinth organ... It can actually cause your betta to suffocate to death... I found this out the hard way with one of my earlier bettas...bought some bettafix (has a smaller % of Melaleuca)...and I woke up the next morning dead... he suffocated to death.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:46 AM   #16 
c4talys7

1. I just added medication last night along with the salt.
2. I put the salt in after I filled it with water and put the cup,rocks,heater in and waited till it dissolved and the water heated back up.
3. I tested the water just by hand and they felt the same. I don't really know how to acclimate.
4. I just scooped him out of tank with his small weaved net. I wait till he calmed down and kinda just lifted it under him until he was in it. He doesn't like the net but I'm careful not to cause him to run into anything or smash him with the net.
5. I'm not sure what you mean by rounded but it doesn't go over the top of the teaspoon, I make sure it's leveled with the outer rim and not overflowing.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #17 
c4talys7

Right now I have him in his betta cup floating him his water because I was going to change it but am deciding to wait for more feed back. He is also in there because I am trying to get him to eat some food but he just ignores it.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #18 
Tsuhei

I would make a 100% water change and take out the melafix..it might be what's causing him to act so oddly and not eat.

When you fill up the tank, take some of the tank water and dissolve the salt in it, then add it back to the tank and gently stir it in.

Try not to use a net while he has fin rot..it can make it worse, trust me. Try to lure him to the surface and scoop him into a cup.

When you have the tank ready to go, float him in his betta cup in his tank. Add some of the tank water to his cup and siphon some of the water out, then wait 15 minutes. Then, add a little more water to his cup from the tank and siphon some of the water out and wait another 15 minutes. You can do this one more time, or if you don't want to, geeeently tilt his cup into the water and allow him to swim out on his own. This is one way to acclimate your fish to the new, fresh water and salt.

Yes, a rounded teaspoon is like a "heaping teaspoon", which means it goes over the top...which can equal 1.5 teaspoons instead of your desired 1 teaspoon. Good thing you level it off.

As for food, I would definitely go to the store and get some frozen bloodworms. Thaw them out at room temperature and using some tweezers or forceps, take some of the worms out and hold them in front of him in the water. The thawed frozen food will look like it's wiggling to him, which may spark his appetite.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #19 
c4talys7

Okay thank you, unfortunatly I already cleaned his tank and filled it up but I only added the conditioner and the salt with leveled 1/2 teaspoon to every 1/2 gal even though it said a rounded 1/2 teaspoon. It seemed like a lot to me. I left out the melafix entirely. Can I still have my fish in the water after I acclimate him even though I put the salt in after I filled it? I have something besides the net to stir is with. I'm currently waiting for it to dissolve right now.

Also, won't the water he is in (it's from his last water change, it has melafix in it) be bad if I don't use the net to transfer him because the that water will mix with the new?

I am also trying to give him some pellets to eat but he just ignores it. I will attempt to find frozen blood worms when I am home on Sunday. Do you think pellets in garlic juice will due for now?

By the way, thank you so much for your help. I apologize for being such a burden but thank you for helping me out here.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #20 
Tsuhei

Oh you aren't a burden, trust me. you obviously care very much for you fish!

Wait for the salt to dissolve and then stir the water in the tank so it's evenly dispersed.. But here's how to acclimate him without getting much melafix in the water:

Float the cup (half full) in his full tank. Take some of the tank water and put it into the cup he's in until the cup is about 80% full. Siphon the water out of the cup he's in until it is 40% full. Wait for 15 minutes.

Then, after 15 minutes, take more of the tank water and pour it into the cup until it is 80% full again. Siphon the water out of the cup to about 40% again. Wait another 15 minutes.

Finally, pour more tank water into his cup to 80% once more, then siphon it out to about 30% and then gently tip the cup into the water. The melafix should be near non-existent by this point. He will also be fully acclimated to the temperature and salt level of the tank. It is suggested, though, to use 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water for fin rot treatment.

Tags
fin rot, sick betta