Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #1 
Lyssa89

A few questions about raising fry

I have a spawn that is about 2 days old now, this is my second time breeding my bettas, the first time my male ended up eating the fry. So I am trying again and I had a few questions:

1. For some reason both times my fry didn't hang in the bubble nest after hatching, will this harm my fry in any way?
2. How early can I safely remove the male so he won't eat the fry this time?
3. Is there any food I can feed my fry initially that doesn't take a month to grow? (I was going to feed BBS but after do some more research I've read that you should feed BBS when the fry are 7-10 days old.)

Thanks!
Lyssa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #2 
leeb62

If your male betta is going to eat the fry you can remove him as soon as they are done spawning and just put in a airline with a airstone and tie the a knot in the line so that less bubbles is created. The movement stops some eggs from getting fungus. You don't need to lower the water or anything or move the eggs to a different container. You can try hard boil eggs just google that online. The fry doesn't need to stay near the nest but if the male is kept with them he will usually find them and put them back into the nest. They can survive without the nest.
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #3 
Dragonlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa89 View Post
....3. Is there any food I can feed my fry initially that doesn't take a month to grow? (I was going to feed BBS but after do some more research I've read that you should feed BBS when the fry are 7-10 days old.)

Thanks!
If you use egg yolk, be careful to only add a very very small amount or it will pollute the water quickly. Many betta fry are capable of eating just hatched BBS at about 3-4 days old, but some fry will be smaller and need infusoria for the first week. Some breeders use vinegar eels for the first week, but it may lead to missing ventral fins.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #4 
Lyssa89

Alright cool!

I removed the male, The eggs have hatched already and I have some fry trying to swim around already. I did read about giving them egg, I read you hard boil an egg and mix the yolk with water, should the mix be really watery or thicker than that? Or does it matter?

Also when do you suggest doing my first water change?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

When Betta fry first hatch they will live off their yolk sac for the first 72 hours and will not need any added food and depending on the spawning setup you may or may not have natural live foods in the tank for free range feeding for a few more days to a week or so-once the Betta fry absorb their yolk sac, offering newly hatch BBS that are roughly less than 12 hours of age will supply the needed nutrition to the Betta fry-you need to have at least two hatcheries going 8-12 hours apart to supply the Betta fry with the needed live food and nutrition if BBS is the only live food you plan to feed.....

Depending on your spawning set up and type of food you offer you may not need to make any water changes until the Betta fry are about 2 weeks old-sometimes, not always- you can kill the fry with too much care if feeding live foods-when feeding eggs yolk or processed food that can pollute the water quickly-the fry tank will need more water change just to remove the decaying foods so not to cause problems/health issues.

Monitoring the nitrate levels is a good idea and keep them less than 10ppm-high nitrates can stunt growth and affect immune response and low water volume can cause high levels of stunting hormone that can cause the smaller fry to stop growing so the larger fry can use them for nutrition...natural selection process, however, I encourage this, others do not, my goal is quality not quantity and I start to move larger fry to other tanks at 2 weeks due to rapid growth and development related to good nutrition and water quality in my setups

I spawn Bettas using a more natural method-soil based tank, lot of live active growing plants, common snail, RCS, oak leaf and full to the top with water 10g tank-I don't add any live food until after the first 7-10 days after free swimming stage, no water changes anymore (I did at one time) no filtration, sometimes I remove the male right after spawn if he is a known egg/fry eater, day of hatch or the day after that.... up to one month to 3 months depending on the male-some I even leave the female in to get multi spawn-I have eggs that hatch after being on the floor from spawn day, artificial hatch in a small cup, eggs moved with an eyedropper to another tank with another spawning male to tend to when I have a known egg eater...all with success.....it varies from spawn to spawn and male to male.....

Lots and lots of different methods to spawn, feed, water change...sometimes you have to tweak things as you go and with each male as you find out what they can and/or will do......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #6 
Lyssa89

Ok, I have another question haha. When the yolk sac is gone will the white spot be completely gone? The fry are about 3 days old now and I still have no horizontal swimmers and everyone still has a yolk sac. Could I be doing something wrong? I'm going to carefully change the water today because I tested it yesterday and my nitrates were really high.

P.S. Thank you guys sooooo much.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

What is your nitrate reading-I would be careful making a water change at this stage....what kind of testing products are you using? strips or liquid reagent?
What is your water temp?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #8 
Lyssa89

I used the strips and the reading was between 160 and 200 ppm. The temp is around 73 F. Should I just add more water because right now I have a 10 gallon filled halfway.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I would get your water temp up slowly to about 79-80F-the cooler the water the slower the fry will develop and cold water can sometimes stunt them if not cause them to die....73 is really too cold......I would slowly add more water to dilute the nitrate-the strip are great for a quick check, however, I wouldn't trust the numbers to be accurate and unless you have some type of filter running the nitrate reading my be from some other cause....have you checked your source water for nitrates...
Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #10 
Lyssa89

Okay you are a genius. I tested my source water and the nitrate reading was about 30 ppm. Is that an acceptable reading for source water? If not
is there a water conditioner or something I can use to bring that level down?

I'm going to switch heaters right now I am using one that can't be adjusted for some reason.