Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #11 
Dragonlady

A lower water temperature is probably why the betta fry are not free swimming yet. The lower the water temperature, the slower the bettas metabolism tends to be.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

I had a cooler water spawn and it took days for them to hatch and become free swimming...never did that again :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Are you using the strips on the source water too, if so that may not be an accurate reading and if you are in the US-I think-not a 100% sure-but 30ppm nitrate in the city water supply is not acceptable-are you city water or well water-this can make a difference too...they do have nitrate removers but I have never used them or know that much about them...live plants can also help with nitrate issues as well, however, you will need to set-up a storage water type system complete with lights and live active growing plants to use for water changes

If you are city water supply-go to your city water web-site and find out what is acceptable nitrate numbers-you can also get other information related to treatment of your source water-sometimes they even have a place that you can ask questions a forum type area-not all of the water supply company offer this but some do

Also, if you have some way to test your water using the liquid reagent testers would give you more accurate numbers for both the tank and source water...some fish shop will test for you for free-but find out their testing methods and get numbers...don't accept "Fine" or "okay"...you want numbers....

I think your biggest problem with the fry at this point is water temp related-I think once you get that fixed you will see a more normal development in them...stable and correct water temp is really important for this species for normal growth and development
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #14 
Lyssa89

I think my fry may have died I'm going to watch for the tank for movement but I don't have high hopes.

I was using the strips on our well water.

Could you give me a more detailed description of your fry tank? I really want to do it the right way next time and I would love to try the soil bottom tank with live plants.
Lyssa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Sorry about your fry..dang...better luck next time......

NPT or natural planted tank soil bases have worked great for me, however, to safely use them for spawning and fry rearing they need to be mature and this can take 3-6 months-you have to have the right lights or supplemented with sunlight, lots and lots of stem plants 70-80% of the floor planted, 10-20% floating plants-adding trumpet snails are helpful as well-once the plants are actively growing and the soil has started its life underwater and is alive.....your ready to go.......do some research, at least a 10g to start, resource for plants and get started....several folks here keep NPT and we would be happy to help......
Old 12-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #16 
Lyssa89

Cool, I think once I'm done my internship for school and I have more time and money I'll probably go the NPT route. If I decide to breed before then and My well water tests the same with liquid reagent as the strips should I try using spring water instead of my well water?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

I would get a liquid reagent type water test products and test your well water-if you live in a farming area, heavy industrial areas- you may be seeing leaching of ferts/chemicals in your water or no rains or lots of rain can sometimes change well water.....

Not all spring water/bottle water are created equal-some can just be filtered tap water that contains chlorine/chloriamine and due to the filtering process it may lack the needed mineral for fish health and/or strong fry growth and development.....and it can get expensive when you need to start making lots of water changes....RO water is good and usually pretty cheap at most fish shop that also deal with saltwater fish-you will need to add some of the lost mineral back with additives however

Honestly-I don't think it is so much of a water problem with your fry as it was water temp related....get a good adjustable heater to maintain proper/stable temp and try again......
Old 12-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #18 
Lyssa89

Okay, thanks for all of your help!!