Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #1 
OliviaTree

Smile Snail problem! lol

I have never bought a snail, but they somehow managed to make it into my tank. (Probably through the live plants)
At first I had only 1, but apparently they reproduce asexually and now I have 10+.. It is starting to get out of control xD

Also, I have a male betta, a ghost shrimp and a cory cat... I heard you can use loaches to keep the snails under control, but I'm not sure if you can house loaches with bettas/corys?

They are in a 10 gal. if you're wondering..

Another issue I'm having:

My betta is chasing my albino cory cat around the tank. They have lived together since Halloween, but for the last couple of weeks the betta has been chasing him around.

Any help is appreciated! :D
OliviaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #2 
Ethan

use an assaisin snail they'll eat the other snails.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #3 
bettafish15

IDK about the snails, but cories need to be in groups of at least three. :) You could add two more to your 10g to get three, and that may help your bettas aggression, or at least give the lone cory some backup ;D Loaches need to be in huuugeeee tanks, so dont bother with them. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #4 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
use an assaisin snail they'll eat the other snails.
... They have those?
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
... They have those?
Yes, they do.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
... They have those?
Yup, they look like this:
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Best way to control unwanted snails- is to trap them and destroy them by smashing or freezing.....never, never release in the native habitat.....one it is illegal and two they can out compete native species hurting the native habitat.

I like to use a small glass jar that I have baited with either lettuce or an algae wafer-place in the tank at lights out and remove first thing in the AM with light on and repeat as needed....its never a good idea to add other animals for pest control unless you can meet their needs and you really like the animal to start....you also want to avoid harsh chemical and pesticides-most snail killing products are copper based and this can leach into the seal and stay for the life of the tank effecting other invert you may want later like shrimp and special snails, they also can kill some plant species and fish..... and the mass die off of the snails alone can cause the tank to crash....trap and destroy is the best method and if you can stomach it...smash the snail and feed it to your Betta and other fish...they will love you for it......

And a few snails in the tank can be a good thing when kept under control...they will help by eating some species of algae and eat decaying plant material as well as any left over food that was missed by the fish.....my common snails have a job in my NPT's....but they do need to be kept under control......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-17-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote