Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #11 
Tsuhei

Well if they were legit...then I have no idea why they were banned..I dunno where to look at banned accounts (is there a list on the site? )

But I'm just assuming that the majority of recent bans have been from people that have already been "perma-banned" that keep trying to come back. No matter what though, if they're banned and they aren't approved by a moderator to come back and make a new account to re-enter the forum community, then they're breaking a rule which piles onto their reasons why they were banned in the first place, and get banned again... point is is that they should just be patient and wait out their ban sentence and then politely ask to come back...it's not that difficult.

EDIT: I believe forum moderators can see the ISP of the user joining the forum..if it matches...as well as other information like email accounts...then they have probable cause to ban them because it's proof that they are the same person. People tend to use different user names to try and "fool" the forum community so they can slink back in.

Last edited by Tsuhei; 12-16-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #12 
JKfish

there's no list, though, if you look around, I bet you'll find their posts still on the first few pages, that's how recent it's been...
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #13 
TaylorW

Well, I know for sure one member that was recently banned had their thread removed, so most people don't realize they were banned. I didn't see anything wrong with the thread though, they were just wanting to give away high quality male fish to new breeders for free... I was really baffled by that one.

I guess that could have been classified as "Unauthorized Advertising" under the forum rules, but it was free so I don't see what the big deal was? And someone that just joined today or yesterday was banned, I'm not really sure why, they were an IBC member...

Last edited by TaylorW; 12-16-2010 at 08:18 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #14 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Well, I know for sure one member that was recently banned had their thread removed, so most people don't realize they were banned. I didn't see anything wrong with the thread though, they were just wanting to give away high quality male fish to new breeders for free... I was really baffled by that one.
Wait, that person was banned? I saw that post too...I thought it was weird to give away free fish, but it wasn't my fish so meh. *shrug* I didn't get to read the whole thread anyway...what did it consist of really?

Are there any more threads up with the open poster banned up still? Links? I'm starting to get confused now.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #15 
JKfish

I highly doubt this is the post/thread that got the poster banned, but here's an example of an open thread just made by the user before he was banned, for what looks to me like no reason at all... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=57551
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #16 
wallywestisthebest333

What you have to understand is that sometime the offensive posts and threads are deleted so quickly and efficiently that you never really get the chance to see them.

I remember a long while back I was on a thread... I can't remember whose at the moment but they were asking about some kind of debris at the top of thier tank or something and a brand new user popped up and commented with something along the lines of "It's a bubble nest you (well it's not a curse word but it;s extremely offensive to me so I'm not reposting it. :/). What idiot can't tell the difference?" I immediately contacted them telling them that they had no right to post that, that they were wrong anyway and that I was reporting their post to the moderators.

DQ banned them seconds later. I think they had been posting abuse in multiple sub-forums.

Anyway immediately after I reported them I commented after them with something along the linse of "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" because I'd just watched the "Trololololol" video on YouTube. :P

Since the user was banned within 2 minutes noone understood my post. not even the member who created the thread. And the thread was at the top of the sub-forum that day so lots of people were seeing it.

So yeah. =] Our mods are really efficient and just because you don't see an offensive post or thread doesn't mean it was never there.

And I never knew about the banned people getting completely new and different accounts and then continuing to troll on the forum under a different username.

That does make tons of sense though. I've seen a lot of members whose vocabulary seems extraordinarily similar to past members' who have already been banned pop up on the forums. They tend to disappear after a few days though and now I know why. ;P

It's not that this forum is becoming less family-friendly in my opinion. It's just that we've had to deal with a lot of trolls this year.

I personally theorize that this is because the economy is in a rut and people buy bettas and goldfish thinking that they're "easy and cheaper than regular pets."
They don't realize all the cash and care that goes into being an Aquarist.

A lot of people then take offense when they come on the forum and members tell them that what they're doing is hurting an animal when they thought they were doing just fine. Some don't want to cchange and want to spend their time arguing and flaming instead of listening, making the necessary arrangements, getting/saving the cash, and changing.

Thus when they get banned apparently they can come back and troll with a different user-name and try to convince people that the harmful and cheap methods are better than the methods that we all prescribe. =]

That's just my theory judging by the trolling posts that I've seen and the one that I reported. ;]

I could be wrong. =]

WHOA they were deleted? That's a brand new thread. D: I wonder what they did. Are they the person that was selling free fish?

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 12-16-2010 at 08:26 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #17 
TaylorW

I can't find a single offensive post made by this person... http://www.bettafish.com/member.php?u=22751

Confused as to why this person was banned too...
http://www.bettafish.com/member.php?u=22558
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #18 
vaygirl

Tsuhei has the right of it. There was someone here who was pretending they were not a previously banned member and they were originally banned for a good reason (I don't know if I should say why, mods?). They came back again as someone new but they got caught again. And then they came back again today and got caught again.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #19 
Feral

I don't spend near the time interacting on this forum that many do, but I hadn't noticed an inordinate number of bans... only one in fact, and I thought that not only were the mods very patient, but perhaps too tolerant of obnoxious behavior before acting.

I don't know that it applies here, but as a volunteer moderator on an unrelated forum, I can tell you that you won't always see another member get warned for a particular post or persistant behavior- it is often done by private message.

I can also tell you that publicly questioning a moderators decisions there is, in itself, a suspensionable act though moderators will explain themselves in detail if asked privately.

Tough job moderating, and no matter what you do or don't do, someone ends up unhappy.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #20 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I highly doubt this is the post/thread that got the poster banned, but here's an example of an open thread just made by the user before he was banned, for what looks to me like no reason at all... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=57551
Hm! I read through all of his activity posts...I'm not exactly sure what would be ban-able material...maybe excessive posting of aquabid pictures? Not sure if that's ban-worthy...

EDIT: @ TaylorW: Woah wait, Miharu was banned? Looks like I'm going to be doin' some forum reading. o_O

EDIT EDIT: I know why she was banned...take a look at her forum posts and you'll get it.