Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Exclamation What does this look like?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons (Soon to be 10)
What temperature is your tank? Approximately 78 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but it is broken, getting a new tank/filter this weekend.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, Bloodworms, Flakes (I vary his diet, he never gets all of it at once)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, and I fast him on Sundays.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquasafe.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? For a little over a week, I've been noticing his color has started to leave his head, he has little pinprick holes in his fins, and he's got white stuff right above his eye.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, on Sunday, with Maracyn Two.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I am aware of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? A few months (most likely 4-6)

I think it's Ick and Popeye, but I really don't know.

These are good pictures of his head and what is wrong with it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45952151@N04/5267125773/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45952151@N04/5267732174/

The rest of the pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45952151@N04/?saved=1

What do you think is wrong with him?
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

WOAH lol. Your fishie looks like he has popeye D:!
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #3 
wildmagic713

Yeah, I think that's what it is, but IDK what the color loss comes from.

And the Maracyn Two doesn't seem to be doing much good, and I don't know how to treat it.

And can you guys please take a look at this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=57557

As well as the thread linked in it? It explains more.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #4 
wildmagic713

And from a closer look, it appears he has fin rot :( I hate this. I feel so awful for him.

He's getting a new tank tomorrow or Saturday (Tomorrow, if I can talk my dad into taking me out).

I'll start him on Epsom Salt treatments, but can any of you list the steps? I'm very concerned. I mean, I get the 1 tsp/gallon, but what about water changes and stuff? Just wondering.

He's paper thin from not eating :( I put some pellets in today though and he scarfed them down. I'm just really worried about him, I don't want to lose him :(

Last edited by wildmagic713; 12-16-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

Well, you need to probably move him to a quarantine tank (2 gallons ish if you have it..? or a plastic tub of somesort like critter keepers) with very clean water (pristine). You do 100% water changes for a week, using 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon of water. Try not to put anything that can snag his fins if he has fin rot...just stick a coffee mug in there so he can hide. Gravel isn't entirely necessary for a quarantine tank.

You do this process for about a week. Hopefully by then, his symptoms will have improved and/or gone away.

Also a hint: try not to use a net if he has fin rot..it can make it worse..and the chase to get him is stressful. What I do is trick my lil' guys with a bit of food or some tweezers that I use to feed them with and get them to come to the surface..and use a separate container and come up behind them and scoop em in. As long as it's quick, it's not as stressful and you have less of a chance of injuring him further.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #6 
wildmagic713

I have the fishbowl I got him in... Would that work? It's about 1/2-3/4 gallon (It may be 1, but I don't think it's that big). I can take the gravel out (Probably should) and put a mug in for him.

I don't think I can put my heater or thermometer in there though (The thermometer won't stick because it's curved, and the heater is 50 watts), so how do I keep it warm enough for him and monitor the temperature? Will he be okay in the tank until tomorrow? Tomorrow is my last day of school and I'd rather not move him until I can monitor him all day.

And yeah, I always catch him in a container. Never used a net on him in his life. I don't think I have a 2 gallon container I could keep him in to quarantine him, unless there's a bin in my basement... Which is possible. And if I got a 2 gallon, could I put the heater in there for him?

Also, this is the tank I'm getting: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804453

Just for reference. We have a 20 gallon for our guppies and have had no problems with it in the 7 years we've owned it.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #7 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
I have the fishbowl I got him in... Would that work? It's about 1/2-3/4 gallon (It may be 1, but I don't think it's that big). I can take the gravel out (Probably should) and put a mug in for him.

I don't think I can put my heater or thermometer in there though (The thermometer won't stick because it's curved, and the heater is 50 watts), so how do I keep it warm enough for him and monitor the temperature? Will he be okay in the tank until tomorrow? Tomorrow is my last day of school and I'd rather not move him until I can monitor him all day.

And yeah, I always catch him in a container. Never used a net on him in his life. I don't think I have a 2 gallon container I could keep him in to quarantine him, unless there's a bin in my basement... Which is possible. And if I got a 2 gallon, could I put the heater in there for him?
Well you don't have to remove the rocks..they probably have beneficial bacteria in them so I wouldn't remove them just yet. You do need to get a bigger tank for him...it's just easier =P Petsmart has a 2.5 gallon tank for only 13 bucks..that's what I use for my two guys..

But you shouldn't have a 50 watt heater for that small of a tank...maybe if its adjustable, in a 2.5 gallon (which I have..but it's risky to do) because the temperature can spike if the heater breaks and boil your fish. Many aquarists recommend a 25 watt heater. As for now, you can wrap a blanket or a towel around his bowl to try and keep it insulated..and keep it away from any drafts.

Definitely stick a mug in there so he can hide if he gets too stressed out..make sure it's clean and rinsed thoroughly so you don't get any dish soap in there by mistake.

He should be fine in the tank until tomorrow, but the sooner you treat him the more likely his system can bounce back and help fight off his ailments.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #8 
Busted

My Oscar is currently being treated for pop eye also :( Basically all I can do is water changes, till I can get out to get the things I need. I pulled this off of the net:

Quote:
The affected fish should be immediately taken out to be separately treated. It is difficult to specify a specific treatment unless the main cause is definitely known. Large daily water changes should help, if not Epsom salts has been used with good results to draw the fluid out. One tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for at least three days, longer if necessary. Epsom salts isn't really salt (sodium chloride) it is Magnesium Sulfate. If water quality is the problem, a 50 percent water change must be made as soon as possible.

If a new item was added to the aquarium recently, it should be double checked that it is not poisoning the water or letting off chemicals. The quality of the water conditioner that is used should be checked that it has a good opinion by other aquarists. If the water readings are wrong (high nitrAtes etc), a 50 percent water change is recommended again and 15-20 percent water changes 3-5 times per week, until the water readings are correct. Overstocking is a common problem for high water readings. Another common reason would be decaying dead fish and fish food. The tank should be thoroughly searched for any dead fish and precautions must be taken NOT TO OVER FEED, and if the tank is overstocked, steps should be taken in finding some of your fish another good home. If a bacterial infection is the cause we would recommend 'Maracyn', 'Maracyn II', 'eSHa 2000' and 'Anti-internal bacteria' for treatment.
Hope your fish gets well soon :)
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #9 
wildmagic713

Soonest I can get epsom salt is tomorrow afternoon, that's why I'm wondering, and my mom will kill me if I try to change his water now cause it's late here, and I would make WAY too much noise.

I just checked, and we have no 2 gallon bins downstairs. Could I maybe just keep him in his tank, but remove his heater and not put in 5 gallons, and instead just put in 2.5 or something? My heater only turns on when it's necessary because I have a light on it that keeps it warm enough, so could I just not put in the full 5? I don't want to put him in something that is too small either.

I'll treat him ASAP tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #10 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
Soonest I can get epsom salt is tomorrow afternoon, that's why I'm wondering, and my mom will kill me if I try to change his water now cause it's late here, and I would make WAY too much noise.

I just checked, and we have no 2 gallon bins downstairs. Could I maybe just keep him in his tank, but remove his heater and not put in 5 gallons, and instead just put in 2.5 or something? My heater only turns on when it's necessary because I have a light on it that keeps it warm enough, so could I just not put in the full 5? I don't want to put him in something that is too small either.

I'll treat him ASAP tomorrow.
Well if you're planning on getting a bigger tank, that's even better!! Just stick to 100% water changes for 7 days with 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon with a heater...don't remove the heater from his tank now..if the temp drops too much he can die from shock. Just make sure that his new tank is about 76-80F and he'll probably be a bit happier.

EDIT: I misread your first post as him being in something rather small than the 5 gallon you posted. But anywho, keeping him in that small of a quarantine container isn't really feasible to me..but when you get the new tank don't put him in it just yet...you can lower the water level in your current 5 gallon if you want to but it also isn't necessary unless he's having trouble breathing.