Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #11 
wildmagic713

Well, I'm buying a ten, but he's in a five right now. It's just that the filter is broken and the light just keeps giving out, so I'm getting a new one, rather than wasting money trying to fix this one, because we've tried for the last month, plus I have a new (unused) filter for a 10 gallon that I bought at the aquarium store last week because I knew a new tank would be on the way and it was on sale, plus I know some people on here have the one I bought and like it.

I can keep him in a container or something while I change the water and rinse everything and do all of that, but would he be okay to put in his current tank after a 100% change and having everything rinsed off?

Although, his iridescent color that went away is starting to come back on his tail and his body. So that's something.

Last edited by wildmagic713; 12-16-2010 at 09:48 PM.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #12 
Busted

Would it hurt or be a good idea to add API Stress Coat? I was thinking about doing this for mine.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #13 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
Well, I'm buying a ten, but he's in a five right now. It's just that the filter is broken and the light just keeps giving out, so I'm getting a new one, rather than wasting money trying to fix this one, because we've tried for the last month, plus I have a new (unused) filter for a 10 gallon that I bought at the aquarium store last week because I knew a new tank would be on the way and it was on sale, plus I know some people on here have the one I bought and like it.

I can keep him in a container or something while I change the water and rinse everything and do all of that, but would he be okay to put in his current tank after a 100% change and having everything rinsed off?
Yes you can keep him in a container =) That's what I do with my guys...just be sure to acclimate him each time and make sure that everything is conditioned, etc. Just a thought, though: when you rinse out the tank, treat the water before you pour more water in to make sure you get all the gunk out...untreated water can kill some of your beneficial bacteria. Make sure the water isn't too hot either. =)

@Busted: I've never used API Stress coat..so I'm not sure what it does..but I do like using Kordon Fish Protect. It works wonders for heavy metals and vitamins. =)
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #14 
wildmagic713

I always treat it with Aquasafe. Have been since the day I rescued him. And I use a gravel vacuum to get any old food and poop out of the gravel, plus it's the easiest way to remove water.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #15 
Busted

I like API products, but the healing, and reduction of stress would be good to add with the salt, all the salt does it help draw out the infection.

Quote:
STRESS COAT, with the healing power of Aloe Vera, is scientifically proven to reduce fish stress and heal damaged tissue. It forms a synthetic slime coating and replaces the natural secretion of slime that is interrupted by handling, shipping, fish fighting, or other forms of stress. Helps reduce susceptibility to disease and infection. Helps heal torn fins and skin wounds. Reduces electrolyte loss. Also works instantly to remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia from tap water. Neutralizes heavy metals. Use when starting a new aquarium, adding or changing water and adding fish.
Scientifically proven to reduce fish stress by 40%
Scientifically proven to heal wounds and promote regeneration of damaged fish tissue
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #16 
Tsuhei

Quote:
I always treat it with Aquasafe. Have been since the day I rescued him. And I use a gravel vacuum to get any old food and poop out of the gravel, plus it's the easiest way to remove water.
Well for the next 7 days, I'd wash it out by hand...I use gravel vacuums too..and they do miss a bit of debris regularly..when I do my 100% water changes, swishing the gravel around and dumping the water directly into the sink has really made my tanks cleaner. I usually swish the gravel around with very, very clean hands or a plastic tube from the inside of my gravel vacuum if I put lotion on that day...usually repeat the process about 5 times before adding water again. =)

@ Busted: Agreed...kordon fish protect does that too =)
Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #17 
wildmagic713

Okay, well since I'm doing 100% changes I take the gravel out and rinse it. I just meant for regular changes.

I really hope he makes it, he's not looking so great and I feel so awful for letting him get like this.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #18 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Okay, well since I'm doing 100% changes I take the gravel out and rinse it. I just meant for regular changes.

I really hope he makes it, he's not looking so great and I feel so awful for letting him get like this.
Don't worry, things happen! At least you're taking action to try and help him instead of ignoring it. =)

Just be sure to dechlorinate the water you use to rinse out the gravel... keep that beneficial bacteria! But if you decide to take the gravel out anyway to make it easier to clean for now, then that's up to you. =) Just be sure to rinse it really really well when you decide to put it back into the tank.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #19 
wildmagic713

Yeah, I'll probably take it out (Most of it, I may leave a little layer so the bottom isn't bare just for the sake of the bacteria and ease of cleaning).

And I turned my light out and he started swimming around his tank. Tomorrow I'll do the 100% change and put him in 2.5-3 gallons of water just to ease everything for the both of us, and I'll add the epsom salt.

Should I change the water, add the epsom salt, wait for it to dissolve, and then re-acclimate him? Can you please explain how I should use the salt, because all anyone ever says is do 1 tsp/gallon, but that doesn't help me that much.

And we have aquarium salt, if that matters...

Last edited by wildmagic713; 12-16-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #20 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Yeah, I'll probably take it out (Most of it, I may leave a little layer so the bottom isn't bare just for the sake of the bacteria and ease of cleaning).

And I turned my light out and he started swimming around his tank. Tomorrow I'll do the 100% change and put him in 2.5-3 gallons of water just to ease everything for the both of us, and I'll add the epsom salt.

Should I change the water, add the epsom salt, wait for it to dissolve, and then re-acclimate him? Can you please explain how I should use the salt, because all anyone ever says is do 1 tsp/gallon, but that doesn't help me that much.

And we have aquarium salt, if that matters...
Well if you're doing epsom salt, aquarium salt won't be necessary for now.

Do the 100% water change and then, using the same aquarium water, dissolve the epsom salt in a seperate container. Once dissolved, add it to the water and gently stir it. Then, float your betta in another container in the tank, pouring a liiiittle bit of the new water into his floating container. Then siphon some water out. Wait 15 minutes then add more of the new water, siphon, wait another 15 minutes. If you want, you can do this process one more time. If not, gently tilt the container so he can swim out on his own.