Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #21 
wildmagic713

Well, when my dad gets home I'll get him to take me out for Epsom salt. Mister Fishy is eating again (He's so thin though because he wouldn't eat before) and his tail looks a little worse, but I'll get him switched to Epsom salt tonight.

Should I take his plants out now, just so that they aren't in there in cause he's catching his tail? He's got 2 silk plants and two very soft plastic ones (I checked the for sharp edges before I put them in, but I may have missed something).
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #22 
Adastra

If you do take the plants out, make sure he still has something to hide in so that he feels secure and is less prone to being stressed out. A coffee mug that has been rinsed very well in hot water will do. How did the Maracyn Two treatment work out? You finished the treatment according to the box, correct?

Taking the heater out is not necessarily a horrible idea. Many bacteria become highly active around 78-80 degrees, so keeping your fish at around 75-76 degrees can give his immune system the upper hand. Remember to acclimate him to the epsom salt slowly and keep up with those 100% changes. :)

If you continue to have problems getting him to eat, you should consider locating a store that sells live blackworms. The wiggly motion they make stimulates even the sickest fish to eat, and they are a great source of fat and protein.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #23 
wildmagic713

I'm putting a mug in for him, definitely.

The treatment didn't really work, which is why I'm switching to Epsom Salt. I've had him on Maracyn Two for 5 days, and it's done almost nothing, and I've been following the dosing instructions to a T. His iridescent color came back a little bit, but otherwise, his eye doesn't look better.

I'm getting the new tank and such tonight, so I think I'll put him in that one, but with half the water because I don't mind cleaning five gallons, and I'd feel better to have him in that one because I don't trust the 5 gallon Hex he's in right now after how bad it's been.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #24 
Adastra

If anything it will be easier for him to reach the top since the five gallons of water will be spread out over a wider surface area.

As far as why this happened in connection to your five gallon, I'm willing to bet that it's simply a result of your filter breaking down, which made your 50% change per week routine no longer adequate for removing all the nitrogen. The tank itself is probably fine, but it no longer has any beneficial bacteria, especially after dosing the Maracyn Two. Luckily you were given good advice to up your water changes during treatment.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #25 
wildmagic713

It has nothing to do with the changes, because the light blew out (It didn't affect the tank, there is a shield). His entire tank has LITERALLY given up on me. The light is broken (I put a new bulb in, and it blew out the next day, and no longer works at all because it gets too hot). The filter is broken. The light got too hot and softened the plastic of the shield so the shield is slightly bent. The last thing that's left for this stupid tank to do to me is start leaking, and since I spent $50.00 on it, I'm pretty mad. No more MarineLand products for me for a long time, although this may just be a defective set. The customer service wasn't much help. I asked for a new filter, they said all they could do was send a new impeller (And I had it registered for warranty), and that was over a week ago, and it still hasn't shown up, so I'm just giving up on this tank and getting a new one.

And I'm trying my best. I tried my best after the filter broke, but I've got a very busy schedule (My high school gives a lot of homework, I'm stuck there until 5:00 most days because my brother has sports practice and he drives me to and from school, and I just generally have a lot to do). I feel awful that this happened, but things happen and I just didn't have as much time as I needed.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #26 
wildmagic713

Alright- I got the tank, and the Epsom salt. I have to clean up a bit (I can't keep his new tank on my desk, it's too big), so that I can put his tank on my side table, but I have it. We're getting a hood next month, but my dad is going to make me a cover out of plexiglass (Just to keep over it), and I have lamps to provide light during the day until we get a hood.

I'm switching him over some time in the next hour. How big should the container I float him in to re-acclimate him be?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #27 
wildmagic713

I got the tank. I have to clean up a bit (I can no longer keep him on my desk, the tank is too big), but I'll have him in there in the next hour or so. I also got the Epsom salt. I don't have a hood (Not in the budget this month), but I have a filter and my dad is going to cut me a plexiglass piece to use as a cover until I can get an actual hood next month, and I have lamps to provide light (What I've been doing since the light broke, and when the bulb goes out, and it works).

How big should the container that I use to re-acclimate him be?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #28 
wildmagic713

It's posting oddly... Hm.... But anyways, he's being re-acclimated right now. There's 5 gallons of water in his new tank, a heater, and the thermometer (No filter till he's better and in 10 gallons, but with the 100% change every day he shouldn't need a filter).

I put a coffee mug in (rinsed it first in hot water), and he seems happier just swimming in the container. I think he likes his new location better as well, it's more out of the way, so he's surrounded by fewer "scary things."

The water is about 78 degrees right now, and I think he'll be much happier once he's better and in the 10 gallons with his plants and everything, because there is so much more space, plus I made a sponge filter baffle to slow down the flow and trap the good bacteria (Aquaeon filter, I used to tutorial on here to make a baffle).

And while I was at PetCo I saw the most beautiful male Double-Tail and he looked really good (The fish at my local PetCo are taken good care of. I mean, the Bettas are in small containers, but they're much harder (They appeared to be glass), so more insulation, and the water quality was great. None of them looked sick in the slightest. He was this color: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...9WFA_Ap4Be.jpg but he had more of the white on his body and less blue. He was BEAUTIFUL. I wish I could've bought him but my mom was ready to kill me for the new tank (Even though it was $13.00). Imagine if I had brought home a new fish! Plus I need a divider before I can get another fish.

I was explaining to my dad what I've learned from this site, and I told him about AquaBid and he was like "Maybe you should breed Bettas! You could play with genetics and everything." and I said "Dad, I'd need at least 4 girls for a sorority, a breeding tank, and a tank to keep the male in, if not males. I'd like to eventually, but not now."

So he's all for me getting another fish :P

Last edited by wildmagic713; 12-17-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #29 
wildmagic713

And one last question: How long should I treat him before I stop the Epsom treatment? I mean, obviously until the visible signs go away, but how much longer after that?

He's in the tank now, and he's exploring. Not that there's much to explore ;)

He seems happier already. I wonder it if's because the tank is more horizontal so he has more swimming space that way, and it takes less work to stay near the surface. He's enjoying looking at the wall, and certain other things. He hasn't gone into the mug yet, but he did swim behind it.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #30 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
And one last question: How long should I treat him before I stop the Epsom treatment? I mean, obviously until the visible signs go away, but how much longer after that?

He's in the tank now, and he's exploring. Not that there's much to explore ;)

He seems happier already. I wonder it if's because the tank is more horizontal so he has more swimming space that way, and it takes less work to stay near the surface. He's enjoying looking at the wall, and certain other things. He hasn't gone into the mug yet, but he did swim behind it.
Don't treat him longer than 7-10 days. Any longer and it could compromise his system...exposure to salt can lead to organ failure.

Glad to hear that he's a bit happier though! And as long as he hides behind something or in something, I'm sure it helps alleviate the stress. Keep updating his progress and tell us how he does!
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote