Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #1 
Creat

Unhappy More sick betta ...

So right as i am going to leave my dorm I inherited 3 new sick betta, some one I was told dropped them off from a pet store cause they knew that I had saved the other two ... so now I have three more they made the ride back to my house alive... but all of them have issues....
Right now they are floating in a heated aquarium in clean water. The water is de-chlorinated with epsom salt (1tsp per gallon). They all show no external issues.
Betta 1:
Delta tail doubt he will last the night he can barely swim at all and just floats at the bottom.. i lowered the water level to try to help him. He also looks like he stops breathing from time to time.
Name:  IMG_0290 (2).JPG
Views: 365
Size:  86.3 KB

Betta 2:
Redish crowntail floats on his side all the time but occasionally flips upright does not want to swim at all... looks a little bloated. He looks kinda save-able.
Name:  IMG_0289 (2).JPG
Views: 1313
Size:  58.3 KB

Betta 3:
Purple crowntail cannot manage to sink at all. He will swim occasionally but all he does is float. He is upright 50% of the time but cannot get down. Might be something wrong with his swim bladder but just a guess he also looks a little bloated. He probably will survive.
Name:  IMG_0292 (2).JPG
Views: 375
Size:  84.9 KB

Last edited by Creat; 12-17-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #2 
Creat

oh the first one is gving up on life I wish I could euthanize him but I done have the stuff too... i hope he can pass happily if he does.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

I'm so sorry. :[ I hope they all get better! <3 Do you have room to keep all those fish? And you should put a sign on your door that says you're at full capacity with fish if you are so that you don't get anymore unexpected fish-friends. :P
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #4 
Creat

Yeah i know I only buy the sick fish I know I can treat, and sadly it was the red crowntail who died the delta tail is still holding on :)
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #5 
Colibri

Sometimes, the fish looking worse is the one to make it. Not always, but it does happen. So, don't believe the little delta guy won't survive. I think that what you're doing right now is the best. Clean warm water can do miracles. The fact they're all laying on their sides is not a good sign, sadly. Try to give them a calm environment and lower the light. I really hope they make it (specially the delta-tail... he's gorgeous).
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #6 
Adastra

I've brought back fish before from pet stores who looked similar to how the delta is laying. For them, temperature was the huge issue. During the cold weather many pet stores still keep their bettas by the doors, so they suffer horrible drafts that cripple them. As if the ammonia in their cups wasn't bad enough, right? Since it says that you live in Idaho I can only imagine the cold air whipping past the betta display area. :(

Slowly warming them up and keeping them in super clean water is about the best thing you can do. If you have access to methylene blue, that can be helpful in cases of ammonia poisoning. Live food also has a way of convincing these fish that they want to live again, lol. If any of your pet stores sell live blackworms, it might help to get a little bag. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #7 
Creat

Ok thanks :) I hope one of them make it. The purple one has a bad swim bladder problem and will eat and try to swim but wont sink at all.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #8 
tsoto80

I really admire you for what you are doing. It reminds me of my mom who use to take in stray cats....
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #9 
TRISHIESfishie

good luck, I hope your new fish pull through
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with your rescues. It sounds like you're doing everything you can for them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote