Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #1 
Lt.Dan

Betta question.

Alright ive had fish a long time, and i would like to explore some other areas of the fish keeping hobby. I was think about getting a Male Betta.
I dont know much about the fish but had and uncle that loved his to death(not literally of course) and would like to know as mush as possible about them. all i know is they are agressive, especially to other bettas. i would like to know how hard they are to take care of, what is the ideal tank size for 1, the minimum tank size, and anything else important about them. then a final question should i try a Betta or just get a small tank with some cherry barbs?
Lt.Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #2 
Rue

Well, no one can tell you what fish to get...and cherry barbs and bettas are very different...so that's up to you...

Male bettas are aggressive with other male bettas...or anything that looks like a male betta...so avoid any fish with long flowing fins...

They are not hard to take care of.

Min. tank size, IMO, is 5g, and a planted tank is even better...

I have 4 bettas in my community tank...1 male and 3 females...along with a host of other fish (see tank page)...they're so much more interesting in an interesting tank...

I also have a plakat in a 25l tank with some mystery snails and plants...he's also active and alert...
Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #3 
xxthrwitdwnxx

ok first off there not hard to take care of there actully quite easy as long as u dont put to males together or introduce a female at the wrong time as far as tanks u can use a little 1.5 all the way up it dont matter. but i dont suggest u put a male in with other fish especially fin nippers

http://www.peteducation.com/category...ls=16&cat=1918
xxthrwitdwnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #4 
Falina

Bettas will live in very small tanks, but the minimum size you can keep one in where he will thrive, and where you won't shorten his lifespan is 5g.

T^hey are very easy to look after. In a planted tank, IMHO, they are onre of the best fish about due to their ease of care, and character.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #5 
Lt.Dan

so would five gallons with an airation stone(i never could get live plants to grow) with maybe a small decoration and Betta pellets would do just fine, correct?(i dont plan on putting any other fish in with him.) oh and not to sound dumb but what does IMHO mean?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #6 
Falina

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

He would really need a filter, but a small "rubbishy" one will do because they don't like strong currents and are not big waste producers. He would survive without one if you performed frequent partial water changes but it is highly recommended that you get a small filter. A filter would be much better than an airstone.

With a filter an airstone is not required as they are labyrinth fish, and get oxygen by gulping form the surface. They will do this no matter how much oxygen is in the water.

The food sounds fine. They are carnevores though, so make sure you supplement his diet with bloodworm or brine shrimp now and again.

Live plants are great, but not necessary. A bare tank would be a problem thoguh as they like to have their own wee territories, even if there are no other fish in the tank.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #7 
Lt.Dan

well i was planning on getting a filter and gravel...the basics. i would get a decoration and like a small fake plant.

the betta pellets have mashed brine shirmp and bloodworms in it, but i could give it bloodworms(freezed dried) because my other fish eat them.

So in other words you are all saying go for it?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #8 
Rue

By all means go for it! I have my plakat on my desk here at home and I just love watching him...

I've had very good luck with hornwort...it floats and the bettas love to hang around in it...

If you want some more fish for your betta tank...try some coryadorus on the bottom...get at least 3...they're a schooling catfish...if you want to stay small...the pygmy corys don't get very large...but even the regular corys are small enough...just avoid the Brochis...they're a bigger species...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #9 
Lt.Dan

Thanks i think i will just start with the basics...just the one betta, a small decoration, a fake plant, gravel(does gravel work, or should i get rocks?)filter and probably a small heater. ( im planning on going to buy some fish sunday, ill get the tank then, because dont you have to wait a month before addind fish to a tank?)
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #10 
Rue

I honestly don't think you have to over-worry with a 5g tank and 1 betta...

...get the tank started...add Cycle...and add the betta...I think that the small amount of waste the betta produces will aid with cycling and with that amount of water the betta is unlikely to suffer from toxic water...

...but do water tests and changes of course!!!