Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #1 
BettaRed

[URGENT] Fish REALLY sick!

Hello,

I recently got a Betta Fish from a pet store with a 1.5 litre bowl, the woman gave me some stuff to put in the water to take the chlorine out of tap water so i've been doing that. I do FULL water changes every 2 days.

2 days ago I noticed some white specks on my Betta fish so I looked it up and turns out it's Ich. There is no pet store close to me so I quickly ordered a few things online; Melafix, Seachem Betta Basics and Rapid White Spot Remedy - I also did a full water change, added the dechlorinator(?) and added half a tablespoon of SEA SALT. The items I ordered online are due to arrive TODAY, however, when I woke up this morning my fish went from HEALTHY (with the exception of the ich of course) to the IMAGE BELOW. He is lying on a leaf at the top of the bowl so he can get oxygen directly from the air. When I first saw him I thought he was DEAD! How could this happen?

I have been feeding him 3 to 4 pellets twice a day as advised by the pet store assistant, I really just want to know what I should do from this point on!

EDIT: He sometimes lies sideways like he is dead and he sunk to the bottom once, stayed for about 1 minute and dashed to the top again...
EDIT 2: He used to dash at the bowl in a zig zag fashion previous to this, even before I noticed he had Ich. He was VERY active and ALWAYS ate so I'm not sure if this is just him or if there is another problem..
Attached Images

Last edited by BettaRed; 12-13-2010 at 07:45 PM.
BettaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #2 
BettaRed

Here's a pic literally TWO days before this all happened (when I was worried he had fin rot because he had 3 holes in his top fin)
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 
bettablue

wel first of all the sea salt will kill him. you can only use aquarium salt so change all the water right away. Do you have a heater? that would help him. I have never seen such damage so I would wait for someone more experienced to help you, but make sure you change the water right away and don't use sea salt anymore.
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #4 
BettaRed

No I don't have a heater. I live in Australia so it's quite warm anyway. I was planning in investing in a 5 gallon tank with a heater after I realized a bowl isn't suitable but I don't know if I'll need to :(

Also many sites recommend putting sea salt in to keep betta fish happy, are you positive it will kill him?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I agree that looks like chemical burns. Definitely change his water and remove all the sea salt asap. Where did you get the sea salt? What are the ingredients on the box?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #6 
bettablue

I think you mis-understood the websites~ I think they said Aquarium salt is good not just any type of salt. For a 5 gal, I don't think you need to get one right away, first get him better and then later you can use a 5 gal because then you don't have to do as many water changes. I would try to do 100% water changes daily to help him recover.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #7 
BettaRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettablue View Post
I think you mis-understood the websites~ I think they said Aquarium salt is good not just any type of salt. For a 5 gal, I don't think you need to get one right away, first get him better and then later you can use a 5 gal because then you don't have to do as many water changes. I would try to do 100% water changes daily to help him recover.
no they actually said sea salt but i'm changing the water now
Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #8 
bettablue

O, well I guess that was a bad site then, sorry
Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Yup, theres a difference between sea salt and aquarium salt. Unfortunatly you got bad info :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #10 
BettaRed

Will he heal? He seems like he's in pain.. if it was the salt would his insides be messed up too? I can't believe so many sites recommend sea salt if this can happen to the fish......... I don't want to keep him alive if he'll just be in pain for the rest of his life!