Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #1 
ChelseaK

Nervous...

My first spawn should be hatching sometime between late tonight and tomorrow morning... I'm extremely nervous that something will go wrong.

My male has been tending the nest well, only wandering occasionally to the other side. I have no idea how many eggs there are, I can't see them. If they should be visible, what should I be looking for?

I'm going to get another batch of brine shrimp hatching, but I'm nervous about feeding the babies, like when I should put their first food in and what not. I've read and read and read about what I should be doing, and I felt fairly confident but now I'm just nervous as heck!

Any reassurance would be welcome :)
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How exciting...first spawn....

You won't need to feed the fry until they absorb their yolk sac and that varies from 2-3 days after hatch....if you plan to remove your male once the fry are free swimming this is usually when you will start to feed live food and start water changes or add water depending on what spawning method you used

On BBS it is best to feed newly hatched BBS with their yolk sac intact for best nutrition for the Betta fry-the BBS absorb their yolk sac within 8-12 from hatch...so it is a good idea to have two hatcheries going about 10-12 hours a part-I don't start adding newly hatched BBS until my fry are about 7-10 days old but I also use a natural method to spawn and my tanks have natural food source for them to feed off of-I will feed the newly hatched BBS for 2 weeks and then I supplement the BBS with an HUFA supplement so I can feed larger older BBS and still provide the needed nutrition for good growth and development
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can shine a flashlight under the nest to see the eggs. You'll probably see some tails hanging down. Good luck with everything. I'm sure everything will be fine! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #4 
ChelseaK

Thank you!
I'm still having trouble just getting some BBS hatched, but I think this time around I should have more luck. I want to make sure I've got it down by the time the babies are ready.

I'm nervous about my male trying to eat them. When do you think I'm in danger of this happening?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #5 
ChelseaK

And thanks dramaqueen! I'm going to take a peek right now! Haha
Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How are you hatching your BBS and which brand are you using?

Some males will eat either the eggs or fry at different stages for different reason and for no reason at all and it is hard to say when or if it will happen especially with first time breeders-usually as long as the eggs are fertile and healthy all will be fine-if the male was well conditioned to start and is not disturbed too much by the hobbyist....hopefully he will not be an egg or fry eater...really hard to say.....good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #7 
ChelseaK

I'm not sure the brand because I threw the packaging away awhile ago :(
I described my hatching process in my previous thread, 1f2f said it should work and suggested I try some baking soda, which I have with this batch.

I'll just have to watch him closely, make sure he's not snacking on my fries :p
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, just keep an eye on him and if he starts snacking then pull him out.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Breathe :)

Like OFL said, start adding foods about 2 or 3 days after they hatch. I usually feed the day after they start free swimming, but then again I have lots of java moss and IAL and snails in the tank to create infusorians. If you don't have live plants I recommend feeding as soon as they are free swimming.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #10 
Martinismommy

I start feeding the fry 3-5 days after they hatch....I start with Walterworms.....I don't offer BBS until they are about 10 days old......I leave the Daddy in for at least 5 days after they hatch......He seems to weed out the imperfect ones......

Good luck and congratulations on your 1st spawn! I'll never forget my 1st......
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fry hatching, nervous