Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #11 
MadMay

Yeah I printed out several little pages about care on betta's little 4x4s about tank size, temp, pellets, and that they need filters heaters and water changes. and left them on the stand next to the bettas. *Muhahahaha*
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #12 
wildmagic713

I should really do that. Maybe if we got the entire Betta community to do that, we could make a difference in the sale of these beauties. And I'm sure some of my friends would do that simply for the sake of making someone mad.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:57 AM   #13 
MadMay

Lol I felt like a rebel, all sneaky like. I came back about a week later to buy a fish block for my filter and there were some still there so either he didnt notice or he just left them. I dont think people are trying to be cruel they just dont know any better. While it would be nice if people researched about a fish before they bought it I think its just easier to give them the info.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #14 
wildmagic713

Well, at the very least, we should petition to make it a requirement for these stores to put REAL information by the Bettas, and to put a pamphlet with all the MAJOR info (Like tank size, the water temperature, how much to feed, how to do an Epsom salt treatment, etc.) in when they sell the fish, and then they should offer extra ones with more information if someone wants to know. I think that if we simply GAVE people the information, they'd do more for their fish.

I'm pretty sure the only reason why most people don't do that for their fish is they are too lazy to research themselves.

I mean, I'm an animal freak (Mostly for horses :P) (And no, I'm not an insane PETA supporter, I think PETA is insane), but the first thing I did when I came home that night was get online to research Bettas. I got on here, discovered it was not what I thought it was, and went out the very next day to buy a tank and everything that he needed.

I'm one of those people who wants the best for every animal, from the smallest little fish to a huge animal like a horse (I would say elephant, but who owns one of those besides a zoo?). That's why I spent $90 on him that day, and $40 on him last week, and $15 on him last night. I want him to be healthy, so I'm going to do my best to give him a good home for as long as possible.

They're such beautiful fish, and an aquarium will improve the fish's lifespan, which means you can enjoy them for a lot longer. Also, a full-blown glass aquarium will last 10x longer than a crappy little "Betta Bowl." That's 10 times as many fish that live in it. Who wouldn't want that? And without a hood, they're about 50% cheaper too for a 10 gallon, and you don't NEED an aquarium light. A lamp works too. As long as the tank is covered and you have some light source by it, you're fine (Hehe that's what I'm doing because the hoods were too expensive- we're getting one next month).

Last edited by wildmagic713; 12-18-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #15 
Bettas143

Both Petsmart and Petconear my house take god care of their bettas. Petco though has a bigger (cup) than Petsmart. All the females in petco are really young, the ones in petsmart are somewhat older.
Bettas143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #16 
wildmagic713

Yeah, mine is like that with the females.

But they weren't too young, like maybe 2-3 months, so a manageable age.

And the males were all around the same age.

At mine, I like the fact that they label by tail type, color, and age. It makes picking one so much easier.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #17 
Bettas143

I think that they put them in cups because putting them in bigger tanks with a filter and heater is too expensive for them.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #18 
Bettas143

I currently own 2 veiltail bettas a bluish greenish one named shadow and a red one, no name. I got them yesterday, theyr were on sale only .99 cents. Their beautiful. they live in a separated 10 gallon tank. They have the most perfect fins and no curls.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #19 
tsoto80

Petco vs Petsmart over here is the same. The cool thing is that patco even haves their betta in cubby holes (hope that make sense) so another words they wont be able to flare/stress out even tho they are inches apart they even had some of them freely swimming in the tanks- Petsmart didnt
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #20 
wildmagic713

Yeah, that's what mine was! I just couldn't decide what to call them so I went with shelves...

I want another Betta :(