Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 02:45 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Question Melafix for Fin Rot? Kinda confused...

Okay, so Link here (scroll down):

Has some fin rot (also possible mild fungi infection on his head, or he ripped some scales off, idk what that looks like) and I read that Melafix can cure this. I also heard that it can kill them too.

I started treatment last night and am waiting to clean the water tonight until I find out if it's okay to use this. I put in the correct dosage for a 2.5gak tank. I also just used aquarium salt last night with is, I was advised to do so. I use AquaSafe for conditioner that is in there as well.

So I would like to know is it too soon to look for any results? Should I just used aquarium salt and the conditioner? I could also reduece the dose of MelaFix if that will help as well even though it is 1/4 the dose for the tank. He has a heater and it is about 77 degrees. He still won't eat and he runs himself in the the marbles/ his cup when he is startled, maybe even more.

Any thoughts?

I am taking him on a plane on Sunday to fly back to Oregon. TSA is allowing him in the cabin with me. I live in Hawaii for school so he will not be coming back with me mostly likely. I have found a home for him to stay at till I'm back but I want him to be healthy by that time. I will hopefully get my hands on a 5gal with a better heater, light, and filter system.

Let me know if you need more info. I know I have another thread about this but I wanted to know what do to about the Melafix thing, the Wal-Mart here has nothing else for fin rot in it and the nearest Petco is on the other side of Oahu (Not in Honolulu where I am). Convenient, huh?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #2 
TaylorW

I have never used melafix, but when I researched it I read that it could harm fish with labyrinth organs. I wouldn't use the melafix, since I read it could kill them. Just my personal opinion, I'm too scared to buy some since I read some bad reviews about it.

But I would wait till someone more experienced than me can pop in and give you advice, since I have never bought or tried the product. I hope your fish gets better!! :) :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #3 
c4talys7

Thanks, and you're input helps. I should have done more research. I just remembered seeing it in the store and someone mentioning that it can help with Fin Rot.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #4 
Busted

I recommend API Stress Coat, it helps with healing and repairing damaged fins/scales, and few other things.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #5 
c4talys7

Okay, so until I find out more info should I not use Melafix for the fin rot? It kinda makes sense because he started freaking out the day after I put it in.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #6 
Busted

Yes discontinue use of the melafix, maybe some who knows more about it can tell why, but all I know is melafix + betta = no... though it does wonders for other fish.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:02 AM   #7 
c4talys7

Ok, I just cleaned his tank and used just the conditioner and aquarium salt. Someone on another thread also said to not use the melafix so I dropped it altogether. Thank you for your help!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #8 
vaisforlovers

Location: Retired to 140 acre farm in Hamilton TX. Raise cows. 4 cats, 3 dogs, a few sheep and 1 goat.
I have used it on my betta. I had no problems with it. It did not harm him.
vaisforlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

I am actually using Melafix right now as a treatment..No harm done.. It is working great.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #10 
c4talys7

Yeah, maybe it depends on what's in your water also. He seems to be doing okay with out it and just the aquarium salt, my biggest problem now is that he'll die of starvation instead of anything else. Can't get him to eat at all.

Tags
fin rot, melafix, sick, won't eat food