Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #1 
baylee767

Exclamation Need urgent help with plants!

I bought some Anarchis and java fern today. I rinsed them off and now they're floating in the tanks. How do I make them stick to the bottom? The Anarchis is just some random stalks of it, can I float the Java fern without attaching it to anything? I read that these plants don't need much, is that true? Thanks! ANy extra info would be great!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Well, anacharis does better floating. The anacharis will change position depending on the amount of O2 in the water. And yes, they are both easy to care for. Wish you luck
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 
baylee767

So it wont go too wild if it floats? *Breaths sigh of relief* I feel so stuipid because I didn't rinse good enough before sticking in the plants and lots of loose leaves came of the Anarchis. Now I'm doing a 100% water change -.- I'll divide the Anarchis between my Bettas
Old 12-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #4 
baylee767

Oh and if I don't float the Anarchis is there any way to tie it together?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I like to use cotton thread to attach java fern to either rocks, wood or other decoration in the tank, Anacharis can be used either floating or rooted-you can place a rock or something over the end to help keep it down better until its roots form to anchor it down-and I agree, it sometimes will do better floating especially if you have limited lights-the bottom portion tend to turn yellow and leafs will drop
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #6 
Dragonlady

Java fern or anacharis will do ok floating. Like Oldfishlady, I also use cotton thread in a brown color to match the roots of the java fern to attach it to driftwood or rocks. I like to use rainbow petrified wood to attach java fern. Java fern will grow faster once it has attached to a surface. Anacharis will grow almost anywhere with enough light.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #7 
baylee767

I have low light, so it looks like they're floating Anarchis! I got a lot more than intended (One bundle included 8 strands!) Now to the Java ferns. I want to plant them in the gravel, I'd imagine that's okat since they're more low light than anarchis, and, I need to leave enough surface area for the Bettas to breath.

I don't have any fish tank rocks (Though right now I'm soaking some "vase fillers" in water, dumping and refilling the water every 10 minutes to clean them for substrate) So will these "Vase fillers" Work to hold the java ferns down? They're roughly half an inch or a quarter inch. One tank has airator, should I leave it off, turn it on, or does it not even matter?

One last question (For now) Is it okay if I don't add anything at all to the water, or will the plants die? Thanks!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to plant the java fern in the substrate-the roots are fine buried but you don't want to bury the rhizome in the substrate or it will rot and die

Not sure what "vase filler" are

Adding anything to the tank-are you talking about ferts for the plants, if so, usually the fish waste and fish food are enough along with the water changes.

How old are the light bulbs, watts and kelvin rating, also how deep is the tank
Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #9 
baylee767

Lets see one tank is roughly 10 inches deep, the other is 7 inches. I don't have fishtank lights so I'm planning on putting a desktop lamp with the swirly lightbulb next to my tanks. The lightbulbs are 20w (The tanks are 2.5 and 1.75 gallons so that's covered) It doesn't say the kelvins on there for some reason. The bulbs themselves are probably 3-4 months old, but I don't turn them on very often. How long should I put the lamp next to the tanks to keep it litup (Not necessarily thrive, but survive without rotting)

The bottom of the Anarchis is already slightly rotten on a few stems. Should I take them off, and if so how do I do it? My most rotten looking plant is one of the java ferns (I got 2) It looks terrible! The guy just randomly choose some at the fish store, and this was a bad one. Is it okay?

Pic:

EDIT: "Vase fillers" are these pink, red, brown, and black rocks sold in a plastic container marked "Vase fillers". They're pretty clean already, but I'm going to be soaking them until tomarrow before adding them (Don't want to take a risk!) They're actuall pretty earthy colors and they would look great as substrate. So farthey've gotten smoother and cleaner in my cleaning process, but I'm still not trusting it until it's been super cleaned.
Attached Images

Last edited by baylee767; 12-18-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

For the species of plants you have I would start at 8 hours of light a day and increase as needed....the rotting end on the Anacharis-I would use your fingers and pinch it off or scissors-which ever works best for you, personally I use my fingers...lol.....
The java fern sometimes can look brown in parts and brown leaves can sometimes have spores on them too-I never toss them so I can get more plants-at the tips of the java fern you may see what looks like a growth and little white/tan looking wormy things and these are starts of baby plants and soon little leaves will appear-they will break off in time and become a new plant too...they are slow to reproduce but if happy they will in time....