Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #1 
kpullen89

Angry Outraged! Poor Betta!!!

So I was at the liquor store yesterday and was incredibly shocked when I got to the counter! They had a betta living in a SMALL skull shaped LIQUOR BOTTLE! It looked dead! I told the lady, "that's not enough room for a betta" and she rolled her eyes(yes, very rude) and said "Well you should've seen the cup he came in, they said that was all he needed." I don't know who 'they' are but I'm guessing the pet store.. but did she really think bettas could LIVE in a cup of water? I was trying to tell her to do some research but my mom pulled me out of the store and told me to let it go(I was getting to the point of being rude myself).. I wanted to let the lady have it.. Fish deserve better..

Anyone else feel my frustration? I still can't let it go. That poor fish in that small cramped bottle. I can't imagine how she fed it.. the opening is quarter sized..doesn't that deprive oxygen too? Here's a link with a picture of what the liquor bottle looked like....

http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Crystal.../dp/B004797DDM

I'm so disgusted. How can people treat a fish like that. He wasn't even moving and the water was yellow!! Can I call animal control on the woman? Or is that crazy? I don't know what to do, that fish will die. :(
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Been there, done that, be nice and then when they resist....grab the fish and run hehe. Seriously there should be some laws about fish...they're so mis treated.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

How did they even get it IN the bottle? That scares me even more!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 
kpullen89

Oh my gosh Sweeda, I didn't even think about that! It must've been horrible!!

Mr. Vampire -- I have been debating on just taking it and running! lol but I do agree, there need to be laws..
Old 12-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #5 
TaylorW

That's awful! :( :( :( People make me so angry, we should make them live in a bottle for a few days and see how they feel! >:(

Hand the lady a betta care sheet the next time you go in there, then threaten to get some animal rights groups on her case XD Or just grab the fish and run out of the store while giving the lady a good piece of your mind XD

But seriously, that's awful, and with people like that I don't think you can do anything nicely to make them change their minds :/
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #6 
kpullen89

I know I feel like she put the fish in there as some sort of joke decoration.. She clearly knew that it was wrong by the way she bit back at my comment. If the fish was in a healthy environment, she wouldn't have gotten so defensive! I bet I'm not the only one to say something..

The betta care sheet is a good idea! Although I'm afraid she'd rip it up and throw me out.. and maybe she'd be even more encouraged to prove me wrong and keep the fish in there longer..
Old 12-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #7 
DormDrax

I'm almost saying just go in when she's busy working and just snatch the fish and vanish out of there. If a drunk guy see's ya.... Good!

"Hey! Lady... *Hic* Your skull fish was just taken by that kid with the funny hat..." *Thuds*
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #8 
kpullen89

Haha yeah DormDrax, I can see it playing out that way!! Or she catches me and gets me arrested! I'm not sure if the cops will by the "i was just saving the fish!" story.. :( lol
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #9 
kpullen89

Oops, I meant *buy
Old 12-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #10 
TaylorW

Actually, I just thought of a great idea. Try "killing her with Kindness" XD That's a phrase my mom always says :)

Next time you go in there, apologize to her for being "rude", and explain to her how attached you are to your own pet fish. Then give her a "gift". Give her a 1-2 gallon container to put her fish in, and then make sure to BRAG on her betta. Tell her it has beautiful colors or veiltails are your favorite or something. Then offer to set the fish up in his new home for her and continue to brag on her fish/make amends with the woman.

If she accepts your offer, the fish will be in a better home and you can brag on the fish and give her care tips whenever you go in there :)

Most people will not reject a free gift, an apology, or compliments :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote