Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #11 
JKfish

Pre-soak his pellets, and if he stays warm, his appetite should get better. Right now, if he's chilled, he probably won't want to eat.

For tanks, looks around places like garage sales, ebay, craigslist, etc, chances are you'll find a good deal on the one. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #12 
Marcus11

Thanks for all the advice. He has improved quite a bit. Since I do not have access to a bigger tank or a heater I've improvised and made his tank water a bit warmer but since I do not have a thermometer I was unsure. But I change his water everyday, he's swimming around alot more and opening his fins. He's starting to eat aswell which is great. I'm so glad to see him happily swimming around. :) But as soon as I can I will go purchase a bigger tank for him, with a heater and thermometer.
The one thing I have noticed is that his fins have abit of white on them. It's not all that noticeable until you get a closer look, they look fairly brittle.
If anyone has any advice about anything I'd be very glad to have it! :) Within the week that I got him I've become fairly attached. I talk to him and sing to him and everything. I just hope what I'm doing works!
Marcus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #13 
JKfish

the white (if it's opaque) is probably fin re-growth. keep up with the water changes :D

by the way, when you get a new tank, you'll probably want a more economical dechlorinator like this it only uses 2 drops per gallon :)

If you're unable to find a good tank at any place like good will, ebay, etc, you can buy 5 gallons like this from walmart for a decent price. All you'd need to buy would be the heater .

keep updating, though it sounds like Marcus is already beginning to improve :)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #14 
baylee767

Oh and you could get a cheap 2.5 or even 5 galon kit. I use large kritter keepers which are 2.5 gallons and cost $15, but you could go even bigger and get a 5 gallon for $32 heres the link to a kit that includes everything but the heater and decorations:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...ndingMethod=rr

Good luck with Marcus! He'll have much more energy in a larger tank, you'll see.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #15 
Marcus11

thankyou guys for the advice. I told my parents that that's what Marcus would like for xmas :P and also a heater with the 5 gal tank. So if he gets the tank and such would I still have to change the tank everyday while he has the fungus and finrot?
Any thing else I should know?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #16 
JKfish

in a 5 gallon, you wouldn't need to do 100% water changes ever single day, but roughly about 50% daily just to make sure he stays in almost pristine waters :)
Old 12-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #17 
baylee767

^ +1

But if you cycle in a 5 gal you only need once weekly 50-75% water changes for average water when he's healthy.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #18 
JKfish

If Marcus has fin rot, you'll want to make sure you keep him in very clean water, cycling should come after when he's healthy so the fin rot won't get worse
Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #19 
Marcus11

Okay so I finally bought a larger tank. (10 gallon) I'm hoping he will adjust good from his tiny tank to this larger one. I wasn't sure if I were supposed to get a heater that says it keeps the water at 78 degrees F. Do I need it? If not I can always return it. It's a self adjusted heater. The only one I could find at the store. I'm just a little uneasy how to set up the filter but I'm sure I can figure it out. But i'm in need of some tips so feel free to tell me anything that might help my betta Marcus!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #20 
LolaQuigs

Congratulations on your new tank, 10 gallons is a wonderful size! You definitely do need a heater. I generally recommend adjustable ones rather than preset heaters, but if that's all you could find, then try it and see how it works. Do you have a thermometer? A thermometer will enable you to know whether or not your heater is working properly; some presets don't heat enough, some overheat, and some are perfectly fine. If you can't exchange it for an adjustable heater, at least get a thermometer (if you don't have one yet) and keep an eye on the temperature to make sure your heater works.

I don't know what kind of filter you have, but the instructions should tell you what you need to know about set-up. If you have any specific questions about it though, you can post the specs (brand, size, picture, etc.) and maybe someone who has had experience with that kind of filter could help you out.

On a ten gallon, I would do twice weekly 50% water changes until your tank cycles (1-2 months, it is helpful to get a test kit so that you know for sure when it has finished cycling). Once cycled, you can do weekly 50 % water changes. If you don't have a gravel vacuum, they're pretty cheap, and definitely the best way to do water changes on a 10 gal. So much easier than daily water changes in a little container!

We'd love to see pictures of your new setup once everything is up and running!

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 04-09-2011 at 03:15 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote