Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Brillant idea!!!!

I got the idea from MadMay (I think you were the one who told me what you did).

She said that she left a stack of papers about Betta care next to the Bettas at her LPS.

I vote that we should all do that (haha ).

Or make up some brochures or whatever, send them to the company, and be like "You need to offer these when you sell the fish."

I think if we all tried it and got all of our fish-obsessed friends on it, we'd make a bit of a difference.

Just a thought ;)
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I went to my LFS the other day, and they don't even SELL Bettas. I think it is cool in a way. One less place for them to be uncared for. But I WAS mad when I saw they were selling a 6oz Betta bowl. It's smaller than the cups they come in!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #3 
wildmagic713

*GASP*

My LFS takes good care of all its fish. And they don't sell Bettas either, and their smallest "Betta Bowl" is 2 gallons.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

They do, however, sell a 50 watt radiant, adjustable heater for $10, which makes me happy. I'm buying a 10 gallon next month to divide in 3 (I have 2 Bettas, and want another). And their 10 gallon is only $12 right now. It's an empty, but I'm not getting a lid. My Bettas never jump, and I like the look of an open top. So I'm pretty happy right now. I'd rather get my stuff at a local business than at a conglomerate. lol
Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #5 
wildmagic713

I agreee.

My LFS is AMAZING.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

I know! I have really good memories attached to it, too. I once won a coloring contest there when I was 12, I think. I got a $20 gift card, and bought a hamster. Also, they have a great selection of gravel, decor, kritter keepers, plants, and all that. I only live about half a mile from there. I walked there once during the summer just to look around. They also have live plants! They have Anacharis for $2.99 a bundle, which I've REALLY been wanting to try. I've never had real plants before, and I've heard it's easy to maintain. Anyway, look at me getting off on a tangent. I'd better shut up! LOL
Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

I like that idea! =] I'll be doing that at Petsmart and Walmart. =] I'm also making a sign for Walmart that reads "DON'T FEED THE FISH!!! The employees do that." Because at my Walmart back home all of the betta look like they swallowed a small marble. <:[

I wish I had an LFS! <3 That'd be amazing! <3 Yeah Anacharis is easy to care for. =] If you also have any goldfish they'll eat it. =] (that could just be a rumor though)
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

I do have a goldfish, but I'm trying to rehome her. I got her when I thought they only grew to 6 inches. That's what the walmart sign said, anyway. Now I know common goldfish can get to 12+ inches, and my 5 gallon is nowhere near big enough. I can't afford the setup I need for her. lol
Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #9 
Malvolti

I was at Petsmart the other day and started laughing in the fish aisle. I found that they already have care sheets printed up. The info is mostly wrong saying bettas only need 1 gallon, 5 gallons max and only need weekly to monthly water changes.

Anyways, the point that got me laughing was where it said they need a minimum of 1 gallon and I look up to see all the < .5 gallon "Betta Kits" they carry. Hypocracy is funny.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #10 
baylee767

My LFS is awesome! They give their Bettas TWICE daily water changes! I don't really like the way they do it, though. They clamp their hand over the opening and dump out all the water but leave the fish in with no water for a few seconds, then they dunk the containers the Bettas are in into a bucket of conditioned water. At least they actually get conditioned water and ggood waterchanges, though.

While my LFS is great with Betta care, their other fish aren't nearly as well taken care of. I give it a 2 out of 5 stars. They put 5 fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon tank... yeah. I guess the water is changed often enough because the goldfish never die. Still kinda... alot... overstocking.... yeah.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote