Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Question Homemade Hidey Hole for my Betta?

He's sick right now, this will come AFTER he gets better.

I was at the petstore the other night looking at what I call fish hidey holes, you may have different names for them.

I have two problems with them-

1) Aside from my pink and turquoise gravel (:P), I want a natural looking tank. I have silk plants because I'm not big on live plants after our last problem with them in our guppy tank. All the hidey holes they sell look very fake and just don't work with what I'm trying to do.

2) They look too sharp/rough for a Betta.

So how can I make a homemade hidey hole? I don't want to use a coffee mug, because, again, it doesn't fit with the natural theme.

Ideas?
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #2 
MadMay

A terricotta planter looks good tipped on its side half burried or broke in half. Its not exactly "natural" but is still looks earthy.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

You could sculpt something from clay, bake it , then take some aquarium sealant, a paint brush, coat the inside and outside of it, and let it dry.

Then you'd have a custom sealed piece of decor for your tank.

That or you could use aquarium sealant to stick large river rocks together in a clay formation or cover anything else that doesn't look natural in rocks or gravel.

This next one is just a cool theory I have that you could try: get some driftwood in a root formation, evenly cut the bottom of the roots so you can stand it up on its roots, and cover the roots in moss after adding a few rocks at the base for effect. That way it's kind of like a rabbit cave. =] You could stick in a back corner of the tank. =]

These are all just thoughts though. =] GO with what you feel is right decor wise. =] Make it yours! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #4 
wildmagic713

If I were to make something out of clay and bake it, could I then paint it before coating it with the sealant?

Because if I can paint it, I will probably do that.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #5 
Tomsk

You can buy or make a coconut house (they are easy to make ) and you can attach live or fake plants onto it using fishing line through it's airholes to give it a more natural look.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Yep. =] As long as you seal it after you paint it and maybe put a second coat of sealant on then you'll be good. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote