Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #1 
wildmagic713

So I got mad....

I was forced to send a strongly-worded email to MarineLand today.

I bought their Eclipse Hex 5 the day after I brought home my rescued Betta. And it worked fine for a couple months.

Then the filter broke.

Then I emailed them. They said they wouldn't replace it.

Then the light blew out.

Then I emailed them again and they sent me an impeller, which didn't help at all.

Then I sent them a strongly worded email:

Hello,

The impeller didn't work. I just received it today, placed it in my filter, turned the filter on, and it did nothing. The light bulb in my tank blew out because it gets too hot, it melted the plastic shield that goes under the light, and to be honest, the only thing this tank has left to do is start leaking.

I am severely disappointed in this tank, especially considering the fact that I spent over fifty dollars on it, and it is only a little over 3 months old, and was taken care of. I have stopped using it and I purchased a new tank, because as much as I enjoy the shape and the ease of keeping this one somewhere smaller, it is not worth the risk, time, or money anymore. Unless I can get the hood, filter, light, and shield replaced, it is safe to say I will never use this tank again, and I will not be purchasing any more MarineLand products any time soon.

Crossing my fingers it'll get the point across and they'll send me a new filter, light, shield, and hood, or even better, a whole tank.

Otherwise, bye-bye MarineLand.

Anyone else have this experience? Mine may have just been a fluke, but man am I mad.

And I figured this belonged here because it's about a habitat/aquarium.

So have any of you guys ever had a tank give up on you, or have the customer service people be no help whatsoever?
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #2 
kelly528

Wow! I thought marineland was decent... maybe its a fluke? In any case I recommend you actually phone them and get ahold of a CSR. If you argue with them about it I would imagine they would be more likely to send you the parts. It's way too easy to shut people down over email.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #3 
wildmagic713

I'm thinking it's a fluke because I know people on the forum with this tank that have no issues with it, and they do what I did, but that doesn't change the fact that they have awful customer service, especially considering I have it registered for warranty.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 AM   #4 
DormDrax

I have a new 10gal MarineLand Tank with hood LED lights, Filter, Heater, etc and it's working like a Dream... (Now that I've finally shoved a Sponge into the Filter so that it has a weaker outflow).

It must have been a fluke.... which (From my luck with electronics and other things) has happened to me before. Reminds me of my first Cell phone... worked for a week then the battery would only last a day(4 Cells Later I now have an LG Lotus which I LOVE). Flukes happen... sometimes the companies just don't care, ya gotta grin and bear it. If my MarineLand tank has any issues I'll tell ya.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #5 
wildmagic713

And like, if I didn't have it registered for a warranty, and it stopped working for a reason, I wouldn't be so mad.

But the fact of the matter is, it's registered for warranty, and there is NO reason as to why it stopped working, and I went through all their troubleshooting tips, and that did no good. There's nothing stuck, or anything like that. It just stopped working.

So now I'm sitting here seething because they won't replace what is almost obviously a manufacturing flaw seeing as I was taking care of it.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #6 
kelly528

Call them!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #7 
FishyFriend1

I have the 5 gal like yours exactly, but i don't use the filter.... but i have absolutely no problems with it..... maybe yours is a fluke
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #8 
wildmagic713

YES!

I got an email back.

"Hello,

We are sorry to hear of all the problems you are having with your
aquarium. We will have the replacement parts sent to you.

Sincerely,

Marineland"

YAY FOR STRONGLY WORDED EMAILS WORKING! NOW I HAVE TWOOOOO AQUARIUMS (As soon as the parts show up ;) But YAY)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES YES YES YES YES! NOW I HAVE ROOM FOR 3 BETTAS! YESSSSSSSSS!

In case you couldn't tell, I'm very excited :P
Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Yayyee congrats! :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #10 
wildmagic713

Now the only question is, how do I talk my mom into letting me get two more...

Hmmm....

She probably won't. But I keep Saturday/Sunday as change days (Usually Sunday). Sunday is also the day I fast too.

So as long as I'm changing the water on the weekends I'm good, plus one of the aquariums will be a divided 10 gallon, so I would do two water changes for two aquariums.

My dad is all for me getting more Bettas. My mom is the problem :P

I can't get any more until Mister Fishy gets better (He has Popeye unfortunately ):). But once he is better, I'm planning on dividing up his tank and getting another Betta.

I'll probably save the 5 gallon until I find a Betta that I REALLY like (I'd need more gravel and plants anyways, so it's going to be a while).

Last edited by wildmagic713; 12-20-2010 at 01:37 PM.