Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #1 
wildmagic713

Question I need a light source?

So, I had to get a new tank (If you read my *slight* rant about MarineLand, you'll understand why) and a new hood was not in the budget, being that around here, for a new hood with just a light is $40 for a hood for a 10-gallon tank.

My dad cut me a piece of plexiglass that fits the tank perfectly, with an opening for feeding and everything (Yes, I rinsed it pre-attachment). I just need to put a box around the filter (I need 4 pieces of correctly sized plexiglass and my hot glue gun :P) and I'll be good, though I'm going to attach some sort of cover for the feeding hole. It's a plain old 10 gallon glass aquarium. Currently covers for those things are not necessary because there is only 5 gallons of water in this tank (Sick fish, 100% daily water changes, 10 gallons is too much for that) so he can't get close enough to the top of the tank to jump out.

What do you recommend for a light source besides a desk lamp that I can attach to the aquarium without buying a hood?

And if you know of any good tutorials on how to make your own aquarium light source, please link me them!
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #2 
Busted

I will be keeping a eye out for this, I need two lol.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #3 
kelly528

Unless you have live plants, natural daylight will suffice. If you want, you could put a desk lamp over the tank for aesthetic purposes.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #4 
Busted

I like my tanks to be lighted, I may look into this.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...1&pcatid=20601

I have bought many things from them, love them lol.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #5 
wildmagic713

Do you think if I just got a lamp that was a swivel and attached it to the side of the tank or something and positioned the light over the tank (with the plexiglass in between) that it would work?

I need a light because my tank has issues with warmth (it has a heater, but it's by two outside walls so it gets cold, and it gets down to 20* here most nights, and the light provides a lot of warmth).
Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #6 
kelly528

If it gets cold at nights, why would a light help? Won't you have it off while you sleep? Sounds like you need a better or higher-wattage heater. Aim for 50w to every 10g and look into a good brand like the Marineland Stealth.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 
wildmagic713

I have a 50 watt. I think the problem is that it's only in 5 gallons and the water level is funky because it's a 10 gallon tank and there's no filter right now, so no water movement, so the warm water just sits there and doesn't move around the tank.

And I'm probably going to rearrange my room soon so that he's not where he is right now (rotate my room so his tank is by an inside wall instead of two outside walls).
Old 12-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #8 
kelly528

There's your problem. I don't think keeping light constantly on the tank will help. Why not put in an airstone/bubbler in the tank to help everything circulate?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #9 
wildmagic713

Well, I never had issues with heat until I had no light on the tank.

But anyways:

He's sick right now. I'll put his filter on once he's better, but until then I can't add anything to circulate water.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #10 
kelly528

I would just be concerned about keeping a light on the fish 24/7, which is what you'd have to be doing if you're using the lamp as a heater.