Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #1 
CrankyFish84

Overnight Nimbus has WHITE FUZZ on head & swimming in CIRCLES...Help :(

Last night he was fine & this morning he has a white stringy poof ball fuzz on his head over his left eye and
can't straighten his back it seems..he trys to get a pellet and keeps spinning in circles...Please help this is really upsetting...I decided to take him with me on a 3 hour drive because at least I could try to treat him
where im visiting for 4 days ( in a sterelite container w/ heater.) I gave him some Pimafix and BettaSpa.
He was in a split 10G when I found him this morning, does that mean the other betta will get sick too now??? :(
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #2 
CrankyFish84

He's trying to get his pellets but keeps swimming in circles and can barely straighten out his spine. He used to be able to JUMP for food, now he backs away from them :(
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Does the fuzzy stuff look like ich? :c I've never heard of the back thing.. Keep his tank very warm, keep him comfy. Shameless bump for help from someone who knows more than me <3!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #4 
wildmagic713

I'd recommend doing the Epsom salt treatment for the fuzz (Can we get a picture, it would help?).

It sounds like that's ick.

For right now I'd take Nimbus out of his tank, do a 100% change, put in between 2.5 and 5 gallons of water, add 1 tsp of Epsom salt per gallon, and then put him back in (Re-acclimate him to it first).

I don't know what to tell you for the swimming thing... I thought mine was swimming oddly for a while because he kept swimming with his body curved, but then he straightened out and I said "Oh, okay, nevermind."

CALLING OLDFISHLADY AND ADRASTRA!

Good luck with Nimbus, I know how it feels to have a sick fish, because mine is too.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Yeah, I used QuICK cure on Alle once and it worked well, too, made the water blueish but meh XD <3
Best of luck with your little man :<
Old 12-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #6 
CrankyFish84

OK GOOD NEWS!

In less than 24 hours after using bettaspa and pimaflex in a 2G kept at 80-82, the white fuzz thing FELL OFF his head! Saw it laying at the bottom & hes swimming more but still in circles...Ill keep you updated,,,
Old 12-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Yay! Clean his water and all his stuff now :DDD
Idk what you have in the tank, but I was advised (by this site, lololol) to boil (or nearly so) the gravel and any plants that could withstand a mdoerate temp. It made the tank ohsopretty and was all in all a good thing to do, I do it now every month and a half if I can.
Idk, just a thought in case its something icky D;
Old 12-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

I'd do a water change to get all the little spores and stuff from that white patch that fell off out of there.

I'm not sure how Epsom salt would work in a situation like this. :/ It's mostly used for constipation and draining fluids. It'd be useful for Pop-eye if that develops.

Then again I'm not a medicine person. :/

I'm not really gonna recommend anything right now because I don't know what's going on but I will say that I hope OFL or Adastra sees this soon or that you contact them.

I hope your boy gets better and I hope it wasn't contagious! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #9 
Colibri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
I'd recommend doing the Epsom salt treatment for the fuzz (Can we get a picture, it would help?).

It sounds like that's ick.

For right now I'd take Nimbus out of his tank, do a 100% change, put in between 2.5 and 5 gallons of water, add 1 tsp of Epsom salt per gallon, and then put him back in (Re-acclimate him to it first).
Two things here. First, that definitely doesn't sound like Ich. Ich looks like white dots, as if tiny grains of salt were sparkled on the fish. A white fuzz sounds more like a fungus. And second, the Epsom salt treatment doesn't work for Ich. In any case, it would be aquarium salt.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #10 
TaylorW

^+1

Colibri is right :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote