Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #1 
spangle

Not sure if its fin rot

Hi all
Was just checking on Spangle while cleaning out other tank and noticed that most of his top fin has gone ( think he is a veiltail), only just noticed this. He is in a 60 litre (uk size) tank, on his own, it is filtered has live plants, a betta log and i do a water change once a week and do 30-35 litre water change, also temp is 80-82,do you think it is fin rot as can't see how he could manage to reach the fins on his back. Is it best to up the water changes?
Thank you for any help
spangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic and yes, increase your water changes for a week or so if he is otherwise fine and doesn't look like rot/infection, if not, you may want to QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank and do- aquarium salt treatment 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes and add tannins if you have any-....nothing in the tank that he could have snagged it on? since no other fish/livestock in the tank that could have injured him....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #3 
spangle

Hi
Thanks for reply, i can't add a pic as home computer is broken so using old laptop which is not too good for photos. I have changed his water tonight and will do it again on thursday and see how he goes. He is fine other than his fin. Everything in his tank has been in there for a few months now and there is nothing sharp to catch his fins on. Will keep an eye on him and try the aquarium salt if nothing changes or it gets worse.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Be sure and Qt if you use the salt as some aquatic plants can be sensitive to it.....keep us up dated....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #5 
spangle

Just thought i would let u know that spangle is on the mend, i did a water change every other day and added a drop or two of melafix and his fin has started growing back and has gone back to his normal colour.