Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #1 
ilovebunnies

Unhappy I have no idea what's wrong with my fishy.

I have no idea what's wrong with my fish. His dorsal fin looks like it's turning white and now has a tear in it. It's just a patch of the fin that turned white, not the whole fin. I noticed it yesterday and immediately went out and bought aquarium salt, removed everything from his tank, changed the water and added aquarium salt. For now he is in 1 gallon with nothing but a heater and thermometer.

I don't know what happened. I checked everything that was in the tank, nothing with sharp edges. The only thing I could think of was the wisteria I added to the tank the other day. I bought the plant from petsmart in the tube. When I got it home I opened it up and the plant was half rotted. I was going to bring it back but I couldn't find the receipt, so I thought it would be ok if I trimmed off the rotted parts and put the plant in his tank. Maybe it made him sick? I have no idea. I don't even know what he is sick with.

Please help, I'm really worried.

Housing

What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80-82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets 2x a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap Water Conditioner (dechlorinator), Flourish Excel (carbon for plants), API Leaf Zone (plant food)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dorsal fin is turning white and now is torn.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't have any behavioral changes.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 day ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have been changing his water 100% everyday and adding 1 tsp aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~ 6 months (I've had him for 1.5 months)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If he is otherwise acting his normal self it may just be a self injury-since you have already started a salt treatment I would continue it for at least 7 days of the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with your 100% daily water changes for 7-10 days...also if you have any tannins to add this can also be helpful in the healing process by using either IAL (Indian almond leaf) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal of pre mix-treatment water) or the blackwater extract

Also, be careful with the heat-its often best to keep it in the 76-78F range for treatment-but you want to lower it really slow-both good and bad bacteria thrive best in higher temps

On your plant-what part was rotten, you may be able to save it...

Keep us posted....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-20-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #3 
ilovebunnies

Thank you for responding. I'll keep up with the treatment plan as you said OFL. I freaked out when I saw his fin, I still don't know what happened.

Does petsmart carry IAL extract or something similar? I really need to get this stuff but I can't order anything online right now.

The wisteria was rotten from the roots to half way up the plant. I trimmed the dead part off thinking that it would develop roots at the bottom of the healthy plant part. Will it?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Yes, the wisteria should develop roots, you can also float it for a while to help as well, put it in another tank-sometimes the salt can harm them-even a bowl of dechlorinted water in the window will work.

Yes, they sell a product called blackwater extract I think...not 100% on the name....I see many folk use it on this form but I have never personally bought/used it
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #5 
ilovebunnies

Yeah, I bought a 2.5 gallon tank when I picked up the aquarium salt yesterday and put the plants in the 2.5 while I treated my fishy. I'll definitely keep an eye out at petsmart for that extract, hopefully they carry something.

Thank you thank you thank you for responding! I thought the worst when I saw his fin.