Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #1 
NikiandBeyond

Better or worse?

I've had Casper for about a month now. He's spunkier than ever, but I still can't say he's thriving. For instance, he doesn't seem to eat... I was taking any uneaten food out, but I worried too much that he'd be starving. Now I'll let a piece go, thinking he may scavenge for it later. I know decomposing food can cause issues, but I change over 25% of the water at least every other day, and I'm on top of water testing.

He must be eating, if he's producing "waste," right? He isn't lethargic at all.

I can't really tell if his tail is improving, and it appears to be getting worse. I may take all decorations out of the tank for a bit, I'll start adding in live plants soon.

And what are these dark spots on his sides?!! It sorta looks like internal bleeding... It's on both sides, and it seems to be pigment that is spreading..

The first two pictures are older (taken with a different camera), and the last 3 are from today.

Does he seem thin?
Attached Images

NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #2 
Adastra

Could you please fill this out so that we get a more complete picture of how the fish is living? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

His body shape looks totally normal to me--he does not seem to be underfed. It's possible that he's subsisting off of copepods and planaria in the substrate. Given your cleaning habits, it's likely that you have a lot of the little buggers scooting around your gravel, and they are almost certainly a lot tastier that those pellets.

Off-hand though, this guy's fins look very unhappy, and not just the nommed up caudal--the edges of the other fins seem to indicate poor water quality. I would definitely get your water tested. If you do not have a liquid home test kit, you can take a sample of your water to a pet store to be tested for free.

Last edited by Adastra; 12-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 
TaylorW

He doesn't look thin, but his fins look terrible! No offense, but a male betta's fins shouldn't be that short unless he's a plakat... And well... ummm... he's not a plakat :/

The dark coloring could be marbling...

What size is your tank, and is it filtered and cycled? Or no filter? Do you use something to remove the cholorine from your water? This is really important information that we need to know to help your fish.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #4 
NikiandBeyond

I've filled this out before in another thread, and just didn't consider repeating it with each new thread. Here it goes.

Housing
What size is your tank? 4.6 gallons
What temperature is your tank? constant 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? highly rated pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I about every day. I've tried skipping 4 days to entice him. I've presoaked the pellets. I've soaked them in garlic. I've tempted him with blood worms and other betta specific treats.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? about every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? >25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Of course my bf through away my log.... Here's what I remember.

Ammonia: .75 (source water is .5, and the prime detoxifies it.)
Nitrite: high (in the stress range)
Nitrate: safe
pH: between 7.8-8.4
Hardness: very hard
Alkalinity: safe range

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dark spots appearing along his sides. He is a Halfmoon, and his tails have been that short since I got him and were in worse condition. I knew he had tail issues, and I was not deterred. His personality made up for his gimpinesss a hundred times over, and I don't find him any less attractive. I'm trying to give him the best environment to recover from his past.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was in utter shock for about 3 weeks after I got him, and now he's quite active and interactive.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I believed he had finrot and used Betta Fix for 7 days.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Can't say.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would guess not much over 6 months old.

Last edited by NikiandBeyond; 12-19-2010 at 08:27 PM.
NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #5 
Adastra

It is understandable why he's having a hard time healing--he looks like a rosetail with a lot of delicate excessive branching. Generally the more branches the fish has, the longer it takes to heal, and this combined with your less-than-ideal tap water is probably why looks like this. Still a very pretty fish. Even if his caudal had never been damaged, it is naturally shorter than many halfmoon bettas due to the rosetail effect.

I do think you should do some larger water changes given the ammonia reading. It is obvious that this tank is not completely cycled, so you should test often and consider doing a couple more substantial (50% with gravel vacuum) per week to keep that ammonia level down.

It is possible that the loss of appetite is due to internal parasites. Many fish lose their appetites when they have a significant infestation. If he's turning up his nose at frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp, you should consider treating him with a dissolving tablet dewormer. Look for a medication with the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole, I have had some luck with Jungle's Parasite Clear. Deworming treatments are fairly gentle, so even if he does not have internal parasites the treatment will not hurt him the way antibiotics or malachite green would. If he is infested, within about 5 days of treatment, you should see him begin to pass his worms in the form of excessive feces, within a couple days of this, he will regain his appetite, and you can stop treatment.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
It is understandable why he's having a hard time healing--he looks like a rosetail with a lot of delicate excessive branching. Generally the more branches the fish has, the longer it takes to heal, and this combined with your less-than-ideal tap water is probably why looks like this. Still a very pretty fish. Even if his caudal had never been damaged, it is naturally shorter than many halfmoon bettas due to the rosetail effect.

I do think you should do some larger water changes given the ammonia reading. It is obvious that this tank is not completely cycled, so you should test often and consider doing a couple more substantial (50% with gravel vacuum) per week to keep that ammonia level down.

It is possible that the loss of appetite is due to internal parasites. Many fish lose their appetites when they have a significant infestation. If he's turning up his nose at frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp, you should consider treating him with a dissolving tablet dewormer. Look for a medication with the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole, I have had some luck with Jungle's Parasite Clear. Deworming treatments are fairly gentle, so even if he does not have internal parasites the treatment will not hurt him the way antibiotics or malachite green would. If he is infested, within about 5 days of treatment, you should see him begin to pass his worms in the form of excessive feces, within a couple days of this, he will regain his appetite, and you can stop treatment.
I agree, but I would like to add... There is no need for the addition of the aqua salt if it isnt helping..You are only supposed to use aqua salt treatmeants for 10days at most.. and if you use it everytime you change the water than it is probably doing more harm than good
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote