Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #1 
JKfish

Swinging the Ban Hammer?

Is it just me, or are the mods banning people left and right these days? I know they're just trying to do their jobs, but maybe they're being overzealous? Sure, I understand banning some of those users, but others, I don't see why they would be banned so quickly for something so silly or something that is only warning worth..... Whatever happened to warnings about behavior/forum usage that was pretty common not that long ago? I mean, this is a family forum and all, and family forums want to keep clean and safe and all that, but seriously, this is getting ridiculous seeing as the other side of the Family Forum would be that in general they tend to be very friendly to users which, it seems has not been the case as of late.

Maybe I'm only now noticing how much people are banned, maybe not, but it seems like banned users are becoming more and more and more common. *shrugs* I know the Mods know what they're doing, but it's just something I wanted to comment on seeing as I honestly have counted more banned people in the past three months than I ever have before.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #2 
TaylorW

I have noticed an uprising in bans as well, and it saddens me. But I just thought that I must be missing or overlooking the offensive posts, but I have been starting to doubt that theory... I don't think I could miss that many offensive posts as much as I'm on here. I have been confused about this issue as well.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #3 
Tsuhei

Well, I haven't noticed much in the short time I've been here except for BettaBreeder123...and yeah... let's not bring that up again.

But as of late, people that have been banned keep making new accounts and trying to come onto the forum. That's probably why the numbers are climbing, but people need to learn that when they're banned, they're banned.

The reason behind why they keep coming back is because this forum doesn't ban IP addresses...because internet providers tend to "recycle" IPs and eventually a ban on someone's address would be lifted from the "recycling" process...meaning that the person that receives the banned IP address as "new", they'd be banned from the forum instead of the person that was banned in the first place (at least this was how it was explained to be during the BB123 incident).

Maybe that's a reason why the numbers seem to be climbing?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Well, I've noticed a few members get banned in a few day's time after joining, but never saw them post anything that I considered offensive or rule breaking...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #5 
JKfish

:P I know this makes me sound like I've been on the forum for a long time (which I haven't) but: I remember around the time I joined, there weren't that many bans. Banned members were only banned for serious offenses or repeated offenses. There were members who would be warned twice, maybe even three times before being temporarily banned. Even then, it was only for about a month or so, then they'd get back on... then the ones who didn't listen after a temporary ban and would keep on acting incorrectly would be permenantly banned.

This makes me really upset, it makes me feel like this forum isn't as welcoming, accomodating, or understanding and family-ish as it once was. :/

Edit: also, the ones that come back as new users, I"m not counting them, the same person's multiple accounts are just one person to me and were banned for being idiots and returning, so that's acceptable. But others, new people seem to be banned for the stupidest of things with no warning at all...

Last edited by JKfish; 12-16-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #6 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Well, I've noticed a few members get banned in a few day's time after joining, but never saw them post anything that I considered offensive or rule breaking...
That's probably the people that have been banned joining under different names...even DQ has posted about being tired of banned users that keep coming back under different login names. Once you're banned, you're banned...if you get caught coming back, of course you're gonna get ban-hammered again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
:P I know this makes me sound like I've been on the forum for a long time (which I haven't) but: I remember around the time I joined, there weren't that many bans. Banned members were only banned for serious offenses or repeated offenses. There were members who would be warned twice, maybe even three times before being temporarily banned. Even then, it was only for about a month or so, then they'd get back on... then the ones who didn't listen after a temporary ban and would keep on acting incorrectly would be permenantly banned.

This makes me really upset, it makes me feel like this forum isn't as welcoming, accomodating, or understanding and family-ish as it once was. :/
Well I feel like the site is still rather accommodating... but that's just me. =P But if you keep coming back, temporary ban or not and you don't email the moderators for permission or get the "O.K." to do so, you're technically breaking a forum rule. =/

Last edited by Tsuhei; 12-16-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #7 
TaylorW

No, I mean, it seemed like these were legit new members to me. And they seemed very friendly and knowledgeable about
fish...

If they weren't legit and I am just naive, that is one thing, but if they were legit, that is another.

I apologize if they weren't legit accounts!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #8 
JKfish

I completely agree.... It would have been a different matter if they did something, were warned, did it again several times, and then were banned, but that didn't happen.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #9 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
No, I mean, it seemed like these were legit new members to me. And they seemed very friendly and knowledgeable about
fish...

If they weren't legit and I am just naive, that is one thing, but if they were legit, that is another.

I apologize if they weren't legit accounts!
Or they are just amusing to read their frantic posts...
*Flails*
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #10 
JKfish

I'm pretty sure some of those were legit accounts. I mean, you can tell when person comes back under a different user. They sound/act exactly the same, and tend to irritate other users, and then are banned for coming back without permission, which is a no-no.

Last edited by JKfish; 12-16-2010 at 08:12 PM.