Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #21 
bettachris

dont get me wrong, of course it is always better to go bigger tank size and the best conditions possible, but it is important for people to understand why it does occur.
bettachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #22 
Falina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean117Ply
I had a betta in my 20g he was not happy until i put him back in the 3g fish boul??? I think they feel more secure in small places with room to move, not miniture jars with no room to swim.
I think this just goes to prove how individual fish are!

My betta was in a 7g on his tod and seemed happy enough, then I moved him to a 35g with other fish, and he's much happier now. He has stopped nipping his own fin (from what I can assume was boredom) and his colours have brightened up as well.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #23 
sean117Ply

[quote="Julie"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
I think this just goes to prove how individual fish are!
Yeah for sure, all my fish have different personalities; shy ones, brave ones, happy ones just like people really.
sean117Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #24 
Firebelly girrl

So it seems like some people on here keep bettas with other fish, correct? I know somebody who has a gorgeous betta, it has to a be a male because his fins are long and pretty, they have him in a pretty big bowl, so I don't feel bad for him. But I have a 20 gallon I just set up, and they seem like they don't really care about having him anymore so I was going to take him. I'm going to get a few bottom dwellers, cory catfish of some type. What fish for the top/middle do you guys have that they get along with and wont nip his fins?
But one thing, when I go to take a pic of him, he flares just from the camera, is that a sign to not put him in another tank with other fish? lol he's funny.
thanks!
Firebelly girrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #25 
Falina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebelly girrl
So it seems like some people on here keep bettas with other fish, correct? I know somebody who has a gorgeous betta, it has to a be a male because his fins are long and pretty, they have him in a pretty big bowl, so I don't feel bad for him. But I have a 20 gallon I just set up, and they seem like they don't really care about having him anymore so I was going to take him. I'm going to get a few bottom dwellers, cory catfish of some type. What fish for the top/middle do you guys have that they get along with and wont nip his fins?
But one thing, when I go to take a pic of him, he flares just from the camera, is that a sign to not put him in another tank with other fish? lol he's funny.
thanks!
Bettas, like was mentioned earlier are individuals. Some will not tolerate any other fish at all but most will tolerate bottom dwellers, and many will tolerate other mid/top dwelling fish as long as they're not too fancy that they are seen as a threat, for example gouramis or guppies.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #26 
MattD

They're tolerant fish, although I suppose it does depend on their individual temper. Mine has let my ghost shrimp hook onto his tail once and he was caught on it for several seconds before the Betta did anything. Even afterwards all he did was swim off.

I have 4 Cory cats and they seem to be just fine with my Betta, since when he explores the tank, he often wanders into their area by a piece of driftwood without consequence.

They're very nice fish, and quite satisfying to keep, since you know they're in a good home, and they're on display nearly 24/7. If you can, try to give him some shelter at the surface. Not only will this help him feel safer, but it should provide a break in the current for him to relax in. Remember - Bettas aren't used to swimming against strong currents. I facilitated this in my tank by simply taking some plastic plants, broke them apart, and letting them float on the surface. They are kept stationary from the current by fishing line which in turn attaches to my hood.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #27 
leifthebunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD
They're tolerant fish, although I suppose it does depend on their individual temper. Mine has let my ghost shrimp hook onto his tail once and he was caught on it for several seconds before the Betta did anything. Even afterwards all he did was swim off.
I added Japonicas in with my betta today for algae control and they climbed over him as they raced around the tank and he only seems slightly annoyed, but never did anything about it.
leifthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #28 
Firebelly girrl

Gotcha! I wish a new betta species would come along, that had no agression but was as gorgeous as the originals :D Eh?
Firebelly girrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #29 
squiggles1

we knew this person, who had bought a betta, but after a couple of weeks was bored because "it didn't do anything". I'm like what's it supposed to do?! This person was going to just stop feeding it. So needless to say we took him and he lived here for almost 2 years when he died of natural causes. I don't think it helps the fish that people see them flare up at each other. Then they think they're going to do that all the time. But I mean the fish wasn't entertaining enough? Ugh, ridiculous, What's it supposed to do, backflips?
squiggles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #30 
MattD

Which is the reason why oh so many fish die - people just stop caring about them due to lack of interest.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote