Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #1 
ParisRose

Please Help...

I'm at a loss... I don't know what to do.. Napoleon was fine this morning. My flourishy flashy beautiful betta. When I came home this evening he was wedged between the filter and the glass. Then I realized his color was faded. His face looked really pale and there were these two redish brown lines. Though someone told me that was normal? I've seen them before. I'm not sure if this means his gills were affected by anything. I just changed the water two days ago. He lives in a two gallon tank. I can't get water params right now because it's 11 and I have class tomorrow. The tank has a filter and a heater. I use prime. There's maybe a teaspoon of epsom salt in the whole tank and I put a pinch of aqua salt in with each water change. I put the aqua salt in because he's a tail biter and I'm afraid of fin rot. Right now (since I cant change the water due to having to go to bed really soon and I wouldn't be able to get the temp right) So his tank is wrapped in towels so he won't get stressed by the light. This happens often and I'd really like to know what's going on. Also he was super lethargic. And I'm not sure if I'm halucinating but I think I see pineconeing along his spine. I'm not sure if it is or not because me nor my siblings see pineconing on the body. I just sometimes think I see it right along his spine so I never see it from the top.
Please help.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #2 
TaylorW

Can you answer these questions? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

I don't know what's wrong with him, but I don't think the redish-brown lines are a normal thing... Also, aquariums salt used for more than 7 to 10 days in a row can lead to organ damage/organ failure.

If I were you I would get my fish in some fresh, salt-free water and post a few pictures on here so we can see what's wrong with him.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #3 
Adastra

I agree. Do a 100% water change and then fill out the form posted above--at this point we don't know if he needs either salt treatment, and they may be doing more harm than good at the moment.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #4 
ParisRose

EEEP!!!!!!!!
stupid internet!!!
Oh No!!!!!
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 g
What temperature is your tank? 80-82ish
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? some sort of pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 a day except on wednesdays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly 10%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? the salt =( and prime and maybe a drop of stress coat

Water Parameters:
none yet

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Faded color, lethargic
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, sad lookin, wouldn't eat last night but this morning he was fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago. they come and go
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? changing water when I get home asap
Does your fish have any history of being ill? constipation a bit
How old is your fish (approximately)? no clue

I was told about the salt... oh no. I was told to put it in with each water change. Oh no I've been killing my fish....
So no more salt and oh no!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #5 
Adastra

Relax, if something like that is the source of the problem he should perk up. :)

I'm concerned about the feeding, too. I think you should feed him two additional pellets every day--pre-soak them in a little tank water to make them easier to digest. You should also consider varying his diet by introducing frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia. Blood worms are rich in protein and fat, brine shrimp and daphnia are rich in fiber and will help regulate his digestion without a fasting day. Keep in mind that if you only feed him one type of pellet, he is missing out on valuable nutrition.

Making appropriate changes to his diet and removing the salt are good initial steps to take. Let us know if he presents any more symptoms.

A note in passing--dropsy will not be very evident from a normal side view of your betta. In order to determine if he's pineconing, you need to look at him from above--like a bird's eye view. If his sides are smooth, he's normal.

Last edited by Adastra; 12-20-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #6 
TaylorW

I'm sorry!! Didn't mean to freak you out about the salt!!! :( He should get better, if you keep the water fresh and salt free for awhile he'll get better!!

I think most people feed their bettas 4-6 pellets a a day. 2-3 pellets in once in the morning and once in the evening would be good, and you can fast him on day a week to prevent bloating :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #7 
ParisRose

So I removed a lot of the salt and started feeding him some freeze dried brine shrimp. He seems to be doing a lot better. What can I use to make a cave for him? I think that kind of contributes to his stress. Oh and I bought him a betta leaf
Old 12-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #8 
Malvolti

It's great to see he's doing better.

For caves the general rules are:

1) You can fit your thumb through all the holes
2) No rough edges to catch fins on

After that it's up to you, a common and cheap cave is a coffee mug or a small terracotta (red clay) flower pot.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote