Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #1 
JD3P

Adding Carbon To Tank

I'm going to be putting activated carbon in my fish tank filter tomorrow. I have an Aqueon Quiet power filter for 10-20 gallons, using it on a ten gallon. The thing never worked well from day one, and from doing a lot of research I think adding carbon would be my best bet. Only thing is that my filter doesn't offer much room to do so. From what I'm reading I should add about 1/2 cup for 10 gallons in a mesh bag. I was thinking right directly behind the cartridge, but idk if it'll fit. I know there is some room underneath the filter but I'm not sure if that would defeat the purpose. It looks like there's a spot on the left but it's actually only about 3 inches in and stops. Is it possible to just make my own cartridge of mesh, activated carbon and filter sponge (or cotton material used in some)?
Any ideas how I can get this to work? lol

This is a photo of it:
Attached Images

Last edited by JD3P; 12-20-2010 at 12:53 AM.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Why are you wanting/needing to add carbon?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #3 
Alex09

I have the same filter. I took the carbon crystals out of the pad. Why do you want them anyways? Whats wrong with the filter? Carbon isn't an important (nor is it needed) part of aquarium filtration.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #4 
JD3P

The driftwood in my tank is making my water look dirty. I boiled it last night for a few hours and soaked it. I've been reading about carbon, and decided to use it as an addition to my regular filter.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #5 
Busted

The cloudiness is from tannins in the driftwood. I think just doing a few extra water changes will clear it up and get most of any tannins out.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #6 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
The cloudiness is from tannins in the driftwood. I think just doing a few extra water changes will clear it up and get most of any tannins out.
I know about the tannins, I figured boiling would get rid of some. I've been doing water changes, just figured carbon would help.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Yes. carbon will help get the tannins out from your new driftwood-carbon is great for that-you need to change out the carbon in about 3-4 weeks and leave it out and see if the wood has stopped releasing tannins-if not, replace with fresh carbon for another 3-4 weeks-don't forget to make your weekly water changes with vacuum too-if you can post a link for your filter we may be able to help you figure out where to put it...I can't tell much by the pic.

Also, as posted just making extra water changes will also help rid the tank of the tannin instead of using carbon-I have used both method......depending on how bad the tannin are they can sometimes attach to the glass and they can be tough to get off-in glass tanks I use a razor blade..... in acrylic tanks I live with it and later tear down and use vinegar.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #8 
JD3P

Thanks for all the help. I put some carbon behind the cartridge, and it seems to be working although it still doesn't look crystal clear. Here is a link to my filter: http://www.petco.com/product/102601/...r-Filters.aspx
Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

How old is the carbon-if it is used you need to replace with fresh-most of the carbon in the filter packs are only good for a very short time and if you are wanting to get tannins out you may have to use/add fresh active carbon every couple of days depending on how bad it is...

You may be able to split the packet at the top and dump out the old carbon and replace with fresh and use a paper clip or something to keep it closed-it look like by the pic on the link that the filter media comes with carbon added in the packet.