Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Exclamation *sigh* Can I use this tank?

So a week or so ago I went out and found a 10 gallon tank for really cheap in a thrift store. Obviously something like a lizard had been kept in it, as it was pretty filthy and came with lizardy-stuff.

Anyway, I finally managed to pry the bathroom away from everyone and clean the tank up. Once I got the grime off and let it dry, I noticed something I hadn't seen before:

8C the tank seemed to hold water fine in the bathtub for a few hours. But I'm wondering, is it safe to use a tank damaged this way? The crack comes from a chip on the side, and it goes just a tad bit past the sealant. I'm sure I could do a 24 hour test and see if it holds water and if the crack doesn't grow. But since there are three people aside from me who need to shower, and one bath tub. Add if it's just gonna break, I'd rather not have to carefully clean up glass.

Do you think I can use this tank, or will I have to go out and buy another 10 gallon?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #2 
Alex09

Cant you do the 24 hr test outside?

Personally I wouldn't risk it. 10 gal tanks are cheap anyways. You can buy them at Walmart & Petco for around $14.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #3 
elijahfeathers

Not really. One bathroom with one shower shard by 4 people-- and outside is freezing cold. Not gonna put a tank that might burst on the floor anywhere, either. lol
Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Unfortunately, I would just get a new 10g. That way, you get something you know will hold, and no glass shards anywhere :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #5 
elijahfeathers

*sigh* I might just give it to my sister-in-law then. She'd mentioned wanting a tank because she wants scorpions when she moves. I'm sure it can house those fine. xD;
Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #6 
Creat

Fixed up a tank like that with sealant but the trick is if it has hairline cracks traveling for more then a cm of the glass it wont work and might shatter under pressure. Your looks like it is right on the edge I would try to salvage it if you are low on money but if not just go get yourself a new one. The crack that worries me is the one trailing out of the sealant. Sorry about the tank that sucks.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #7 
elijahfeathers

Yeah that's the same one that's bugging me. I guess when I get my paycheck I'll just nab a new tank. At least I got a hood from this whole thing! (It's some sort of walmart starter kit that came with a hood and the tank, ect. Though there's nothing to go between the water and lights. Do petscos sell that sheet of plastic? xD)
Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #8 
Creat

They might although I am not sure. I have a handmade plastic ones if I cant find them :p Home Depot sells huge sheets of plastic I just cut for whatever.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #9 
elijahfeathers

lol might have to make a stop there then. xD And get an exacto knife or something.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #10 
Creat

Ha Ha I use a hack saw sometimes that stuff is thick